question

valentin-silvera avatar image
valentin-silvera asked

This is normal? Multiplus 2 hum variation when charging battery by genset

Offgird system with 5kVA Multiplus 2 and lead gel battery.

The Multiplus 2 that I installed makes a humming noise when it charges the battery through the generator. I understand that the hum it makes is that of the inverter transformer and I know that in the Victron community there are various complaints about that. The problem is that it is not a constant hum, it is a hum that varies and the charging current varies too much depending on the hum.

I am attaching an audio so that it is better understood. I also recorded a video showing the situation with the charging current.VE.Bus DC voltage and current.pngVariation current.mp4

I know that when the inverter charges the battery through a generator, it sometimes has a variation in the charging current, but it has never happened to me that the current varies so much and is precisely associated with that noise from the multiplus.

That is normal? Could it be an inverter problem?

I'm worried about how this will affect the life of my battery.

Multiplus-IIGenerator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi

This is normal for the Victron inverters as they are a low frequency transformer based inverter, all depends on the genset output and any AC loads with DC recitifers etc like hairdryers and modern electrical gear has dc power supplys, can cause these noises nothing to worry about.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

valentin-silvera avatar image
valentin-silvera answered ·

Updating. I solved the problem by disabling the powerassint function, which for some reason was enabled and was not necessary. With this, the inverter began to operate normally, managing to produce a stable recharge current and voltage.

The solution to check the powersasint I found in a post from the Victron community.

2 |3000