question

oscarck avatar image
oscarck asked

Venus OS 2.92 and Smart Solar bluetooth connection

I just got Venus OS installed and running on a RPi 4, is was able to connect and get data from multiple Ruuvi Tags but can't find my Smart Solar MPPT. Isn't bluetooth connection to Victron's own devices still implemented? Connecting using a VE.Direct cable is not an option.

Venus OS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
loadshedbuddycoza avatar image
loadshedbuddycoza answered ·

It should be possible, I am able to read data from the SmartShunt and the SolarMPPT via Bluetooth using python. I cannot see a reason why Venus OS on a RPi would not be able to do this. I understand their Gerbo Hardware might be dated an not support it, but Venus OS on a RPi has no reason for not working. I hope they will include it in a new version of the software soon. I hate VE Direct cables when I have a perfectly suitable hardware device and their Shunt and MPPT supports bluetooth fully.

{
  "name": "SmartShunt",
  "address": "D2V1837E-2227-699B-97C2-114B3C152PB0",
  "rssi": -78,
  "payload": {
    "aux_mode": "midpoint_voltage",
    "consumed_ah": 19.8,
    "current": 0.18,
    "midpoint_voltage": 13.55,
    "model_name": "SmartShunt 500A/50mV",
    "remaining_mins": 65535,
    "soc": 91.5,
    "voltage": 27.2
  }
}
{
  "name": "SmartSolar MPPT",
  "address": "237DF7E5-5B72-F938-E1E7-FCE6F26DF4YT",
  "rssi": -82,
  "payload": {
    "battery_charging_current": 15.0,
    "battery_voltage": 27.21,
    "charge_state": "absorption",
    "model_name": "SmartSolar MPPT 150|35",
    "solar_power": 416,
    "yield_today": 950
  }
}
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

I think as long as it is not possible with the original Victron HW they will not implement/troubleshoot that.

Just because you managed to read some data doesn't mean that is a reliable and easy to implement connection.

0 Likes 0 ·
loadshedbuddycoza avatar image loadshedbuddycoza Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
It's supported and documented on the official Victron documentation. Incl support for GATT although that's not even used in this example.

I hear your point, but their hardware supports it.

0 Likes 0 ·
derrick thomas avatar image
derrick thomas answered ·

MPPT cannot connect to cerbo via bt. You need ve.direct or ve.can mppt connected via the appropriate cable. MPPT bt is only for configuring through victron connect. Smart network is only for networking multiple mppt together, not for connecting to the cerbo.

2 |3000

-martin-1 avatar image
-martin-1 answered ·

Hi,
will a connection via BT be possible in the future? Or is Victron not interested in this? Also I have the problem that it is not possible to connect the devices with a cable.

2 |3000

sjoch avatar image
sjoch answered ·

The Globallink 520 connects to up to 10 bluetooth units, like mppts and smartshunts.

I dont understand why the Cerbo and Venus Os on a RPI would connect just as easy?

Deep question is:

Does the communication protocol differ between the bluetooth and ve direct connection?

2 |3000

Related Resources