question

lucasss avatar image
lucasss asked

Charging doesn't go into Abs and Float anymore.

Hi all, I'm on the road for a couple of months now and my system has been working great until a few weeks ago. After a few shutdowns, (I think the BMS shut the system down) It seems that charging doesn't go into Abs and Float anymore. Also, the voltage doesn't go above 13.52 V anymore. I have attached some screenshots of my system and settings. Hope you can help me out! thanks :)screenshot-2023-11-11-at-184932.pngimg-0020.pngimg-0021.pngimg-0022.pngimg-0023.pngimg-0024.pngscreenshot-2023-11-11-at-185448.png

MPPT SmartSolarLithium Batteryvoltagefloat
img-0020.png (288.7 KiB)
img-0021.png (296.4 KiB)
img-0022.png (246.8 KiB)
img-0023.png (259.9 KiB)
img-0024.png (252.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

Are you in the Northern hemisphere. If so days are shorter and the angle of the sun is lower so less solar generation and the nights are longer and colder so more lighting and heating. Double impact, more energy being used and less being generated so the batteries never get full, in fact they get steadily emptier at this time of year.

To compound things your shunt is on the default settings which often results in the shunt synchronising to 100% before the battery is full which misleads you into thinking that the battery is full when it is not. Change the charged voltage to 14.0V and the tail current to 2% and the charged detection time to 5 minutes.

At present, your batteries will be well below 100% SOC and the reading is meaningless. Consider running the engine for a few hours to get your batteries back to 100% which will occur when you get up to 14.2V and the charge current falls to something like 4A and the MPPT goes to float.

Looking at your diagram you show a lot of those resettable thermal breakers, these are usually of low quality and can cause voltage loss. Check that they are not heating up when current is passing through them. Consider replacing with fuses.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

MPPT product page

VictronConnect manual

PWM or MPPT

MPPT calculator

MPPT codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic