question

ergo30 avatar image
ergo30 asked

Cerbo GX SSH Root Access - always getting connection refused.

Hi all. I have searched over the forums and Google but cant seem to find a solution to this. I must be doing something wrong here. My background is IT so am used to using SSH so it must be something not set correctly on my Cerbo GX.

I have tried to SSH into my Cerbo GX, I have set my user to User/Installer, thats the highest level I can choose. I have enabled remote support and I have enabled Password Check in the remote support menu. Everytime I try to connect via SSH I get 'Connection refused'.

I am using the MAC Terminal to connect, the SSH line I am using is 'SSH root@XX.XX.XX.XX.

It just returns 'Connection Refused' everytime, with or without the Password Check enabled. Every time I make changes to the remote support menu I reboot the Cerbo GX so in my mind everything has been followed.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, I have followed a few peoples steps for connection but obviously no luck yet.

Thanks.

Simon

cerbo gxsshroot
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Ergo30

For root access you'd need superuser access level. See also the Venus: Root Access documentation.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ergo30 avatar image
ergo30 answered ·

Stephanie, you are a hero, your comment made me question my steps and then re-reading the instructions (which I had read before but obviously only skimmed over) I had missed the step to 'Press and hold down the right arrow key'. I will now try further to see if I can connect now as this changed me over to 'Super User' and then I could enable SSH. Thanks again.

2 |3000

ergo30 avatar image
ergo30 answered ·

Just an update for anyone seeing this question. To set your user to superuser on the Cerbo GX follow these steps.

1. Login to your remote console.
2. Goto Settings.
3. Goto General
4. At the top of the page you will see your user level, now press and hold the right cursor arrow until your user level changes to 'SuperUser'

You will now see the options for SSH appear under your User level status. Set the root password here and enable SSH.

2 |3000

sergei-golubtsov avatar image
sergei-golubtsov answered ·

Seem that password cannot be set if data partition is full. I can enable SSH but the root password set according to the instruction does not work. Please provide the default root password or let me know how to fix the issue.
I am running the latest recommended Cerbo GX SW.
The main problem is that my GX hangs and consequently reboots 10-20 times during the day. I wanted to get logs via SSH but found today that I cannot connect anymore...

1 comment
2 |3000

sergei-golubtsov avatar image sergei-golubtsov commented ·

Sorry for a false alarm. I got a new Cerbo GX but in the shell history I have:

```

root@einstein:/data# history

1 wget https://github.com/vikt0rm/dbus-shelly-1pm-pvinverter/archive/refs/heads/main.zip

2 unzip main.zip "dbus-shelly-1pm-pvinverter-main/*" -d /data

3 mv /data/dbus-shelly-1pm-pvinverter-main /data/dbus-shelly-1pm-pvinverter

4 chmod a+x /data/dbus-shelly-1pm-pvinverter/install.sh

5 /data/dbus-shelly-1pm-pvinverter/install.sh

6 rm main.zip

7 nano/data/dbus-shelly-1pm-pvinverter/config.ini

8 /data/dbus-shelly-1pm-pvinverter/config.ini

9 nano /data/dbus-shelly-1pm-pvinverter/config.ini

10 /data/dbus-shelly-1pm-pvinverter01/config.ini

11 /data/dbus-shelly-1pm-pvinverter01/config.ini

12 /data/dbus-shelly-1pm-pvinverter01/config.ini

13 wget https://github.com/Halmand/dbus-shelly-1pm-pvinverter/archive/refs/heads/main.zip

14 unzip main.zip "dbus-shelly-1pm-pvinverter-main/*" -d /data

15 mv /data/dbus-shelly-1pm-pvinverter-main /data/dbus-shelly-1pm-pvinverter01

16 chmod a+x /data/dbus-shelly-1pm-pvinverter01/install.sh

17 /data/dbus-shelly-1pm-pvinverter01/install.sh

18 rm main.zip

19 nano /data/dbus-shelly-1pm-pvinverter01/config.ini

20 wget https://github.com/Halmand/dbus-shelly-1pm-pvinverter/archive/refs/heads/main.zip

21 unzip main.zip "dbus-shelly-1pm-pvinverter-main/*" -d /data

22 mv /data/dbus-shelly-1pm-pvinverter-main /data/dbus-shelly-1pm-pvinverter01

23 chmod a+x /data/dbus-shelly-1pm-pvinverter01/install.sh

24 /data/dbus-shelly-1pm-pvinverter01/install.sh

25 rm main.zip

26 /data/dbus-shelly-1pm-pvinverter01/config.ini

27 nano /data/dbus-shelly-1pm-pvinverter01/config.ini

28 data

29 wget https://github.com/Halmand/dbus-shelly-1pm-pvinverter/archive/refs/heads/main.zip

30 unzip main.zip "dbus-shelly-1pm-pvinverter-main/*" -d /data

31 mv /data/dbus-shelly-1pm-pvinverter-main /data/dbus-shelly-1pm-pvinverter01

32 chmod a+x /data/dbus-shelly-1pm-pvinverter01/install.sh

33 /data/dbus-shelly-1pm-pvinverter01/install.sh

34 rm main.zip

35 nano /data/dbus-shelly-1pm-pvinverter01/config.ini

36 wget https://github.com/henne49/dbus-opendtu/archive/refs/heads/main.zip

```
Seems that this device was returned by previous user, who is not quiet familiar with linux distros))) As a result the https://github.com/vikt0rm/dbus-shelly-1pm-pvinverter/archive/refs/heads/main.zip service and similar completely fill out the data partition with logs. Of course, I deleted them.
P.S. the funnies part was to set the user password when the data was completely full))) I do not have the exact instruction how I did that but the main idea was to clean and disable as many features as possible via the Remote Console (VNC) then quickly try to set the root password, which should be the shortest (6 chars). After few attempts I managed to login via ssh)

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexander Breitenbach avatar image
Alexander Breitenbach answered ·

The most important: Password at least 6 characters! Mindestens 6 Zeichen!

2 |3000