question

boostech avatar image
boostech asked

VRM Portal all data lost until April 2023

Hi @all,

I have a problem with the VRM portal.
We are installers and have a lot of systems in our account in the VRM portal.
Now I noticed that the data before the date 2023-04-09 can no longer be displayed.

it affects all the systems we have in our account.

Is there a solution to this, or is it an as yet unknown bug?

best regards

screenshot-2023-10-15-175820.png

vrm bug
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

I checked some of our installations and can confirm the issue.
But it the SOC seems to be OK.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @boostech

VRM advanced data is only kept for a rolling 6 months.

The dashboard data is kept for at least 5 years, though afaik it has never been deleted.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/vrm_portal:faq#for_how_long_is_the_data_being_stored

There is a bit more background discussion around this here - https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/13644/how-long-is-vrm-data-kept-online.html

2 |3000

boostech avatar image
boostech answered ·

hi @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

thank you for the quick answer.

I didn't really know that until today.

It is not good for us and I think also for all other installation companies if the data is only stored for 6 months on your server.

For warranty or diagnostic purposes we occasionally need data older than 6 months.

I see there is also no solution to automatically output the data for all installations before they are deleted?

Of course, I understand your intention to save the data for only 6 months, as it takes up a lot of storage space.

But it would be good if we had the possibility to save this data ourselves, so we would always have access to it when we need it.

Is there anything planned for the future to store the data ourselves and give the vrm portal the possibility to load it from a local storage point?

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @boostech,

I understand and have been in your shoes, I agree it’s a shame to lose the data, sometimes more than just a shame.

Did you read the background discussion link that I posted already?

There are workaround options, but none as elegant as VRM. The most powerful is a custom grafana server, that’s also good for some perspective on how quickly this long term data storage adds up for big systems ;)

There is also the option to save the data as CSV every 3 months so you are ahead, but that will get tedious for many systems, something automated would be better.

0 Likes 0 ·
boostech avatar image
boostech answered ·

hi @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

yes I read the article, I know grafana very well too.

That's why I absolutely understand your problem with the amount of memory.

That's why I had the idea that you don't store the data that the Cerbo GX sends to the Vrm portal in your databases.

Instead, you give the customer the option of storing this on their own storage space.

Technically this is relatively simple, the cerbo gx would have to get access to a network path in the local network. There it can store the data, and the VRm portal only has to get access to it. This could be done using a small PC program, for example. This would give you the opportunity to leave it up to the customer whether he wants to store the data with you with the loss of the data after 6 months or 5 years, or whether he stores it locally with a server client program.

grafana is not that elegant, especially for companies like us, we have so many systems in our account. it would make it very time consuming.

However, the VRM portal already exists, only the file links to the SQL tables would have to be customisable.

It's just an idea and would solve the problem for anyone who would like to have this data for longer than 6 months or 5 years.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic