question

groningen avatar image
groningen asked

Why does VRM not show my AC input in the consumption chart?

I noticed this morning that my graph on VRM does not show the "charge (grid)" consumption in the scales.

For reference, I was off-grid until 2 am this morning and used the Grid to charge my batteries from roughly 60% to 100%. The charge ended at approximately 3:30 am. I am running ESS.

As shown in the picture below (image 1), the RED consumption is normally a combination of solar and grid-in. Obviously no solar production between 2 am and 4 am, but the red bars stays flat at 0.5 kWh between 2am and 4am.

If I make a guesstimate, I consumed 2.3 kWh (grid) to top up the pack but it seems that it is not registered on the Grid - in consumption as the red lines stay flat.

Also, if I check the top icon display (as shown in image 2 below), it did registrar that it consumed 2.5 kW for just over one hour.

I am just checking if this is the case that VRM might have glitch? Unless "AC input" (top display icon in VRM) is not the same as "from AC input" bottom display icon.

Image 1vrm-issue.png

Image 2

vrm-issue-2.png

vrm bug
vrm-issue.png (16.0 KiB)
vrm-issue-2.png (5.3 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Groningen,

In VRM the 'Consumption' figure is measuring what energy goes to loads, it does not include what is going into battery.

The AC input figure could be either going to loads, or to the battery (or both). So it's normal that they may or may not line up.

To see where your AC input energy went, you can change the view from System Overview, to Grid in the pull down menu;

cleanshot-2023-08-30-at-180459.jpg

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

groningen avatar image
groningen answered ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

Clear, thank you for the prompt response.

Also, I agree that the title is (now) clear to anyone that has a similar question.

Thank you again for clear explanation.

2 |3000

groningen avatar image
groningen answered ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

I have a follow-up question (if I may) regarding the System overview then.

The Overview only displays the load consumption (solar, grid and battery combined), solar production (plus forecast) and grid to load consumption (and if you feed in) - Clear from your reply.

Question then, I have to add the System overview consumption (as shown in image 3 below - 6.8 kWh) and the grid "to battery" (as shown in image 4) (3.1 kWh BLUE) to achieve the "overall grid consumption" ? (If I understand it then correctly).

In my case, I would take the 6.8 kWh plus the 3.1 kWh to get to the Overall Grid Consumption i.e. 9.9 kWh. (?)

If so, does the VRM provide a "overall grid consumption" tab (one can correlate to your service provider)? Just curious if such a option is available.

Image 3

vrm-issue-3.png

image 4

vrm-issue-4.png

vrm-issue-3.png (44.7 KiB)
vrm-issue-4.png (23.3 KiB)
2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic