question

thomassolar avatar image
thomassolar asked

Cerbo Relay - safe to switch on/off a 230V, 025A load?

Is it ok to use one of the potensial free relays in the Cerbo to switch on/off a 50W 230V AC load? With other words, less than 0,25A current.

The datasheet says 6A at 125V AC. But it doesn't say how many amps at 230V...

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @ThomasSolar

best to use a small external relay driven by the Cerbo relay.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

I agree with Daniel, as its by far safer.

However for your information , I have a venus GX unit at home and am using the relay to switch a 220 volt contactor using its 220V control coil without a extra relay, so would suspect the cerbo is the same.

but do so at your own risk

2 |3000

Lyndsay Cotton avatar image
Lyndsay Cotton answered ·

Hi all

I would like to revisit this question.as my local dealers do not seem to concur.

From the above @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) you say I could use the Cerbo Relays output 1 to switch the coil from a NC contractor

The generator my client has does not have a start stop pulse. It uses a 230V mains reference. My intention is to switch a contactor coil (from the cerbo) which takes the reference voltage from AC1 (OUT) of a Quattro. I will take a SOC "decision" to remove the AC reference to the genset

Would this make sense?

1 comment
2 |3000

jyweet avatar image jyweet commented ·
Hi Lyndsay,

Did you manage to confirm if you can switch 230Vac towards a contactor coil with the Cerbox GX Relay 1

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Hi the cerbo relays are rated themselves at 220v 1 amp this is marked on the relays themselves in the cerbo - however its not recommended to use 220v on the relays ( so the call is all yours), also if you do this, mark the relays clearly that they are 220v ac switching power. just for safety

2 |3000

to93om avatar image
to93om answered ·

Hi, is there any external relay on the market which can be switched with the cerbo gx to turn a load on/off?

2 |3000