question

paskee avatar image
paskee asked

Battery isolator between batteries and chargers (MPPTs, Phoenix, Orion)

Hello Community!

I am reffiting my boat with LiFePo4 batteries.

For my purpose, I need to add a battery isolator between the batteries and the chargers: 2 MPPTs, a Phoenix IP43 and a DC-DC Orion.

Would this design work since the chargers won't be connected directly to the batteries?

I also plan to add a BMV712. Can the voltage and current information be sent to those 3 chargers in any way?

Thanks for your insights and Regards

P.

MPPT SmartSolarorion dc-dcPhoenix Smart Charger ip43isolators
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Yes, but.

Depends on what you get.

To control the chargers you need a GX device.

With most (maybe all) supported batteries, the 712 is redundant as they'll provide the same info as the 712 to the GX device.

GX device needs either phone/Bluetooth for configuration or a screen. Screen is built in to some GX devices.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

paskee avatar image
paskee answered ·

Hello and thanks for your input.

MPPTs are Ve.direct and can be talked to from the BMV712 if I am not mistaken. Not too sure about the Phoenix since its ve.direct port is described as "maintenance" only?

As far as I know the Orion is "dumb" and wouldn't talk to any ve.direct/bus/can or smart for voltage or current information. How would the Gx help there?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron DC to DC Converters Product Range

MPPT product page

VictronConnect manual

PWM or MPPT

MPPT calculator

MPPT codes