question

Sander Stolk avatar image
Sander Stolk asked

Victron MP-II 48V/5000 not clicking anymore after reboot

I've had my Victron with two battery packs running for a good 4 months now.

Never had an outage or updated the firmware.

Today I decided to turn of my inverter because I had something to do around the inverter in my shed. For safety reasons I turn it off by the switch at the bottom.

After my DIY'ing in the shed I decided to turn it back on...

That is where the problem began. It will boot and it will display some information but nothing more then that.

I've rebooted again and noticed that the "clicking" noises are not occuring. So something is not booting.

I've tried the following:

1. Update the firmware from 2.92 to 3.01 and rollback - No luck!
  2. Rebooted again via software and hardware button - No luck!
  3. Let the system go down by the breaker in the panel (switching the AC off) - No luck!
  4. Uploaded the last ESS/ VE Configure file - No luck!
  5. Pressed the reset button at the bottom - No luck!
  6. Disconnected the battery several times - No luck!

So.... I think it is broken.

It cannot read the VE.Configure file before I tried to upload it. It says:

MK3 not responding or something (i've lost the screenshot)

In the VRM portal the only thing that was missing was the VE.Bus component.

I've made a movie what happens when the Victron is turned on:

https://youtu.be/dAXnE7cchXk

Does anybody know what next to do except calling my dealer?

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
derrick thomas avatar image
derrick thomas answered ·

Have you tried turning the batteries on first, turn the switch on without the ac input on? Can you connect to remote console via Bluetooth or ap?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Sander Stolk answered ·

I will try that to be sure. I can however connect through the local lan and see settings but where is states Status in the Multiplus it says Unknown instead of On/Off/Inverter only/Charger Only

3 comments
2 |3000

derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas commented ·
Do you have an MK3? You might have to reflash the firmware using ve.flash. also keep in mind anytime you update/flash firmware in the multi you need to reconfigure.
0 Likes 0 ·
Sander Stolk avatar image Sander Stolk derrick thomas commented ·
I do not have a MK3...
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ Sander Stolk commented ·

Then you will be stuck if precharging doesn't help. You will have to take it to a dealer to check/flash it for you.

A mk3 is fairly important for when the proverbial hits the fan and the system isn't accessible remotely.

1 Like 1 ·
Sander Stolk answered ·

When I connect the batteries without having AC-In enabled the status is Hub-3 Off, no clicking but it boots and I can access the same IP and see the settings but not all since the VE.Bus is missing.

2 |3000

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

The firmware versions mentioned are for the GX not the multiplus.

There were issues with old multi firmware that can prevent it starting, so I would try re-flash it with a current version (506)

Is this a GX version or do you have a separate Cerbo?

What batteries do you have? If it is lithium maybe you need to follow a precharge procedure to make sure the BMS doesn't trip, this can also be done by starting the multi via an MPPT.

Alternatively, disconnect the GX from the VEBUS, connect a mk3 USB adapter, and try reflash it via veflash.

First I would try black-starting it via an MPPT, if you have, or google precharge and use a resistor/bulb to prevent the inverter caps from appearing as a short to the battery.

9 comments
2 |3000

derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas commented ·

@nickdb

OP has a multi-gx. If it was a pre-charge issue, wouldn't that take the batteries offline? OP states he is able to boot the system, just the ve.bus is unknown.

I've never had the pre-charge issue on any of my systems so I'm only assuming here.

0 Likes 0 ·
Sander Stolk avatar image Sander Stolk commented ·

This is my overview.

With or without batteries the Victron is not clicking the relays.vrm.png

0 Likes 0 ·
vrm.png (40.9 KiB)

You may have run into an old firmware bug:

Bug fix (similar to the bug fix in xxxx492).
It proved that (in rare cases) with firmwares xxxx495 upto xxxx496 the Multi could get ‘stuck’ in the off state.
It could not be switched on anymore neither locally nor remote

In this case it will respond when you use veflash via a mk3 and requires an update, available on professional.victronenergy.com

0 Likes 0 ·
derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Beat me to the punch. The overview shows that the inverter is connected and recognized. OP is going to need a MK3 or contact a installer to come out and get him back online.
0 Likes 0 ·
Sander Stolk avatar image Sander Stolk nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Lets say I have this issue...

I can buy this MK3 USB dongle but I have no access to the professional site because it is a DIY build.

Some advice on that?

0 Likes 0 ·
derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas Sander Stolk commented ·
Anyone can sign up for victron proffesional. Just select "installer"
1 Like 1 ·
Sander Stolk avatar image Sander Stolk derrick thomas commented ·

However, this dongle is going to cost me ~80 euro's for probally 1 time use. Isn't this something for Victron to support/ fix in the guarantee period?

0 Likes 0 ·
derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas Sander Stolk commented ·
This is not a warranty issue, it is a software issue. When you ran the firmware update you would have seen a warning that firmware updates should only be done by a victron proffesional, to which you would have been prompted to accept the warning. Victron professionals will have a MK3 as part of their toolbox.
0 Likes 0 ·

Anyone can sign up for free, it isn't restricted.

Just remember reflashing wipes the config on the inverter so you will have to reconfigure it for your needs.

You can do this with veconfigure, if you need the ESS assistant, or with victron connect app, if you don't.

I recommend dropping the grid supply (if you have one) prior, so it doesn't try to power charge when it comes up with a vanilla config.

0 Likes 0 ·
Sander Stolk answered ·

Ok here is the deal...

I've searched the forum on 492 and found an post and answer from Victron support.

They found that DVCC was enabled right before shutdown. That was also the case with my system.

I've enabled and disabled the DVCC option. When I disabled the function I heard the first initial click from the MPII. Then I knew it would boot and work so I resetted everything and all is working now.

No need for the MK3 or support with the supplier.

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Would you mind referencing the post here for anyone else that finds this topic?

Glad you came right.

0 Likes 0 ·
groningen avatar image
groningen answered ·

@Sander Stolk

Thanks for the update. It is nice to know the outcome to the "fix".

2 |3000

Sander Stolk answered ·
2 |3000