question

alfa avatar image
alfa asked

Cerbo GX firmware 3.01 lost bluethooth from setting

Cerbo gx firmware 3.01 lost bluetooth from setting, temperature at 65deg, when going back to firmware 2.85 bluetooth coming back to setting. not temperature problem. Is there a bug in this 3.01 firmware?

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
alfa avatar image
alfa answered ·

Problem solved, it's not temperature related as some people say BT shuts down when it's 53°C (over 120F) at the CPU, I measured the temperature and it was barely 82deg, it's definitely a bug in the firmware but, here is how I solved the problem. I just want to mention here that all this started when I added the TP-link USB BT adapter and I had to update the firmware above the V2.85 to have the cerbo GX work with the Mopeka sensors, I revert from V 3.10 to the previous firmware version V2.85 while the USB BT adapter is still plugged into the USB in the cerbo GX, the BT line show up in the setting but the Mopeka sensors are not showing as it will only work with the V2.92 or later version, this is good as it show that it's definitely not a temperature related, at this point I revert back to the to the V3.10, BT is not showing up in the setting but at this time I disconnected the power from the cerbo GX (reboot from the menu will not work) waited few seconds plugged the power back and BT is showing up, sensors showing, and everything is working. I hope this will work for you guys that have the same problem and I hope that Victron will figure out this problem in the firmware so other people will not have to go through all this.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·
Good to hear you have it working, however I will not raise false hopes on a topic that is well documented and even acknowledged by Victron. Personally I have used Ruvi for some time on various version of the Cerbo on my test bench through various test can confirm that directing a small USB fan onto a Cerbo did bring it back to life when it was lost. Various different version of the CPU boards also exhibited different tollerances. Regardless, enjoy those Mopeka sensors as I think they are superb and is about to add a gateway to monitor a system 6000kms away ;)
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Alfa

The temperature shutdown on the BT is 53°C at the CPU. So no bug, still temperature related, this of course depends on your cerbo HQ number (berfore HQ2207). The newer ones dont have the issue.

And we are running both those versions and BT is working on my cerbos.

2 |3000

ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

As more features are added, the CPUs have to work harder. Unless you require bluetooth for eg. Ruvi, maybe worth disabling bluetooth (also more secure) or explore the other threads on the topic for external dongle solutions.

2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi all,

Really, the only way to have reliable bluetooth on a Cerbo with serial HQ2207 or earlier is to use an external USB Bluetooth dongle.

The bluetooth hardware in those Cerbos is unreliable. Firmware updating it is alreadt enough to trip it up.

Its not good, but still is how it is. We’re not giving support on those Cerbos wrt built in bluetooth. We’re not testing it when making a new version of Venus OS either. Its simply too unreliable.

2 |3000