question

philipp-hinteregger avatar image
philipp-hinteregger asked

Victron Setup for Sailboat - Feedback for wiring diagram

Dear Victron-Community,

as a winter project I was thinking of replacing some of my boat electronics. I tried to make a wiring diagram for it as you can see attached. Most of you will probably see what I want to achieve. The wire diagram might not be perfect as I'm a biologist not a technician, but I tried my best :-)

As the boat is also used for racing - weight reduction (in terms of battery weight) is a key factor. But in summer times i also enjoy staying away from shore power for longer periods.

installation-victron2023.jpg

I'm not planning to use Victron batteries for different reasons, so I will use a 132Ah LiFePo4 Pack with an REC BMS (Victron compatible). As a starter battery I was thinking of one of the new A123 batteries, as they will manage high loads as needed for starting engines. Not sure if I'll take 20 or 40Ah - based on my experiences the small one should do the job easily. The Alternator (80Ah) is charging the battery direct, when full (quite quick) the Orion will take over and charge the leisure-battery. A SmartShunt is measuring starter-battery status. For shore-power I am going to connect a Phoenix 1+1 to the leisure battery and with 3A to the starter battery. Additionally, a BlueSolar is used only for charging the leisure battery when anchoring in summer. Everything (except the Orion) is connected to a CerboGX wich is connected to a Raymarine Axiom+.

I'd love to read your opinions and feedback to my system - I'm quite sure the is place for improvement. Thanks a lot in advance!

Philipp

installation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi, its quite hard to give comments on a design. Thats also why in the guidelines we’ve written something about it.

Specific questions have proven to lend itself better for a forum like this.

If it were my boat, I’d remove the smartshunt from the starter battery. Less complexity and not needed/overkill.

And make sure that the alternator doesn’t get damaged in case that 123 starter battery decides that its full and disconnects itself/blocks all charge. Alternators + lithium requires special attention.

And I don’t see a battery switch that really disconnects the main - and the starter- battery from everything.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
And: make sure REC BMS can stop your loads as well as chargers in case thats needed.

Note that our REC BMS compatibility is mainly for offgrid sites with Quattros and Multis. Not phoenix smart charger, small inverters and smart orion. Which is not a problem, as long as you find another way to make sure they are controlled by the BMS and/or the battery + BMS has built in means to stop charge and discharge (like dropin lithium batteries like our super pack have).

Which leads me to another advice, consider carefully if a drop-in lithium battery with built-in protection is not a much better and simpler choice.

0 Likes 0 ·
philipp-hinteregger avatar image philipp-hinteregger mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
thanks a lot! I will think about all the advices!
0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ philipp-hinteregger commented ·
Welcome!
0 Likes 0 ·
mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

System design questions would be better handled by your local Victron dealer / distributor.

2 |3000

philipp-hinteregger avatar image
philipp-hinteregger answered ·

thanks for your opinion @mvas

It was the plan to see my local dealer - but it is also somehow the reason why internet communities exist. people have questions, other people from all over the world are giving inputs/opinions/experience. there is only one guy at my dealer, he has never been on a sailboat, has no practical experience with sailing. he knows about electronics and helps with installation, and that’s why I am his customer. so, well, I‘d appreciate any feedback to my plan.

2 |3000

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

@Philipp Hinteregger

Consider replacing the separate inverter and charger with a Multiplus. This integrates both functions and your whole ac system. Much better.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic