question

al-parkes avatar image
al-parkes asked

Bulk Charging with 100% SOC

Why is my Vitron 100/30 showing Bulk charging when the battery is full at 13.5v ? I have 2 126Ah Allion Lithium batteries in Parallel for 252Ah with Bluetooth and showing 100%SOC.

SOC
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Charging batteries from solar only can create a false reset to 100% due to cloud cover.

The BMS will typically reset it's state of charge accumulation to 100% when the battery voltage reaches a preset value AND the current drops below the "tail current" setting.

If the voltage is above the preset value and a solar output drops below the tail current then the BMS will reset. To avoid this, set the voltage to 0.2 volts under the absorption voltage.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

al-parkes avatar image
al-parkes answered ·

Also the battery voltage in Bulk is 13.65v. Should this be over 14v ?

1 comment
2 |3000

mvas avatar image mvas commented ·
Post an image of your battery and charger parameters.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Your 100/30 needs it's settings adjusted to match the battery manufacturer recommendations.

How do you know the battery is full? Monitor, or battery reports it?

1 comment
2 |3000

al-parkes avatar image al-parkes commented ·
The 2 x Allion 126Ah batteries in parallel with Bluetooth show SOC 100% for both in their Allion App.
0 Likes 0 ·
drparker151 avatar image
drparker151 answered ·

MPPT probably has absorption set at 14.4v. When it bulk it delivers max amps into the battery to bring it up to value set in absorption, then it switches to absorption mode and the amps and voltage of the battery drops slowly to float.

Double check that values in the MPPT match what the manufacture recommends. Switch to full SOC at 13.5 does not seem right, mine switch at 14.2, the setting in my battery monitoring shunt

2 |3000

al-parkes avatar image
al-parkes answered ·

Looks like all is well as it finally went up to 14.2V and into absorption and finally Float. It took the 330W solar panels a little longer to achieve this.

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

@AL Parkes

Are your batteries AGM or LiFePO4? I suspect the latter and a BMS in them.

Might need to tweak the MPPT and multiplus settings.

2 |3000

al-parkes avatar image
al-parkes answered ·

Batteries are Allion LiFePO4. all ok now.

2 |3000

Masquelier Pierre avatar image
Masquelier Pierre answered ·

your answer "The batteries are Allion LiFePO4. Everything is fine now. " is based on voltage or SOC?

It would be a good idea to set a low-voltage alarm just above the critical voltage of the batteries.

If your battery is declared @100% with a still relatively high charging current in absorption, your actual battery charge may drop every day and you will still see the battery at 100%.

At the price of 2500Ah batteries, putting an alarm is cheap.
Pierre

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic