question

crispyc avatar image
crispyc asked

Battery Charger Settings for Solar MPPT Controller and Inv/Charger?

I am installing a single 470 watt solar panel on my boat controlled with a Victron MPPT controller going to a 550 Ahr FLA battery bank. I also have a Victron 2000VA Inverter/Charger that currently keeps everything charged up.

My question is: When setting up the charger parameters on the MPPT controller, should they be set at the same as the battery specs and AC Inverter? The Inv/Charger is set at the battery manufacturer (Lifeline) specs, and is working perfectly. If the bulk, accept, float settings are the same, how is it determined what charges the batteries, between the solar MPPT and the inverter/charger?

Thanks

MPPT ControllersMPPT SmartSolarcharger
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvas avatar image mvas commented ·

In Bulk mode each device outputs the max amps, that you programmed in the inverter and what the the sun allows in MPPT - the amps add until the battery bank achieves Absorb voltage. Then the fun begins in absorb mode. One device will slowly "take-over".

There is a possibility to synchronize charging devices over the VE.network.

Regarding your question " ... Should they be set the same ..." You may want to guarantee the Inverter/Charger will finish Absorb mode, because Solar is not guaranteed and the inverter is working perfectly. Since the amps are tapering in Absorb Mode, the MPPT can't really help speed up that process.

identical Float voltages programmed in both devices makes Float mode essentially irrelevant.

Solar is erratic, while the inverter/charger is consistent and predictable

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Ideally the same. If both will be on at the same time and you want to prioritize solar, set it a touch higher, but stay within battery maker range.

If you have a GX device with DVCC on, these settings will be overridden by DVCC, but better to make them for safety.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.