question

marekp avatar image
marekp asked

Problem with community software not showing avatars

Recently I noticed problems with the way community page looks and behaves.

1. Avatars no longer look "nice". Only custom ones are as they were.

2. Hovering mouse over the question title no loger shows the question particulars. To see it I have to click on it.

screen-shot-2023-07-17-at-101227-am.png

victron community
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

suttridge avatar image suttridge commented ·
Yes, for me too - the mouse hover has gone away - this was extremely useful to easily see what the question was about without having to click and open it.
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

There were a lot of performance problems recently due to server overloads. You probably saw the thread and noticed the poor responses. Temporary fix was to disable non-essential functions, this is the change you're noticing. The servers are being upgraded. I expect that when @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) is happy with the upgrades the nicer features will return.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @MarekP & @suttridge

As Kev perfectly articulated the site performance had reached a breaking point.

I needed to take some immediate action while I was waiting for back end upgrades and improvements, so I disabled what I could to reduce the demand.

We had a successful upgrade in the last 24 hours which has already improved things, so I will re-enable the gravitar user icons now.

I also reduced the number of comments and answers that would load before pagination - and I will also increase that again now to see the impact (that is mostly limited to a tiny handful of very active questions).

The pre-loaded previews will take longer to re-enable, while they were not the root cause of the issues, they did add considerable extra database queries for every single front page load. This sort of thing should be properly cached (rather than database requests), but that's something else that needs investigation and improvement before getting re-enabled.

I appreciate your attention to the little things btw :)

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic