question

saltysails avatar image
saltysails asked

Mppt charge controller state off during the day

Hi, my Mppt charge controller has been working fine and now the state is off during the day. I’ve checked all the connections, fuses, etc, all good. I’ve reset the controller, but no luck. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

53634436-0d26-4e6b-8842-3ea99753b4d5.png

caaa9443-e2c9-41db-8a1f-76206b4bd225.png

mppt state
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi @Saltysails

Did you know that you can press the "Why is the charger off" text and then you get an explanation on why the charger is off?

Asking because we see this question quite a lot on the community and this functionality was added specifically for these cases. But if people do not know it / find it, then apparently it is not clear.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

1 Like 1 ·
saltysails avatar image saltysails Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·
Yes, I knew about the link, but it didn't give an answer to the problem. My PV was above 5 volts, I checked all the fuses and the connection and they were fine. What it should say is to reset your controller and tell you how to do it, which it doesn't. I recommend Victron to link to more information regarding this. I reset my controller again and waited 5 minutes instead of two, (I got this information from youtube), and it now works. Thank you Derrick Thomas!
0 Likes 0 ·
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ saltysails commented ·

Hi @Saltysails

You say: "My PV was above 5 volts", but it needs to be 5V above the battery voltage. When this is also what you meant, how do you know for sure, as the MPPT is reporting a low PV voltage that is lower than the battery voltage in the screen shot? Did you measure it at the MPPT terminals while the panels where still connected or perhaps after disconnecting the panels?

This is not meant as criticism, but just to be sure what is going on, as there is quite a difference between the possible problems here:

1. The MPPT did not measure the correct PV voltage.
2. The MPPT put too much of a load on the PV panel so the panel voltage dropped too much.
3. The text in VictronConnect is not clear enough that the voltage needs to be 5V above the battery voltage.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

1 Like 1 ·
3 Answers
derrick thomas avatar image
derrick thomas answered ·

Pv voltage is lower than battery voltage. Check the voltage coming into the MPPT with a meter and see if it agrees with the app. If so then you have a connection problem somewhere between the panels and the MPPT. If not, then try resetting the MPPT. Disconnect pv first, then battery. Leave for 5 minutes the reconnect in the reverse order.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

saltysails avatar image
saltysails answered ·

Thank you Derrick Thomas, I followed your reset instructions and now it works again! This problem is solved.

2 |3000

oinkdesign avatar image
oinkdesign answered ·

Mine is off also but being non technical in this unsure what the problem is. screenshot-20230712-170336-comvictronenergyvictron.jpg

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic