question

captmikewilliams avatar image
captmikewilliams asked

Going off grid with a 10KW Quattro

I have just gone off Grid with my 10Kw Quattro. When I test any house socket outlet I get 230v N to L, 150v to 180v L to E and a dangerous 72v N to E. Everything was fine whilst grid tied. It seems I have a EN problem. Is this perhaps due to some setting I should have changed in the Inveter?

offgrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Check your wiring.

Without grid the ground relay closes joining N and E.

https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2019/09/03/wiring-unlimited/

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

captmikewilliams answered ·
  1. Hi Nick, will do so thank you. I must admit the last 2 months that I have been grid tied I have not tested a wall socket between N and E during load shedding (our unique S African invention when the utility supply is stopped). I did once test L and N during load shedding and got 230v and tested N and E and got the same so all seemed fine. When utility was being supplied I tested the same way and all was fine too. Besides checking my new earth mat and the wiring in my main AC DB, what wiring specifically should I check on the inverter side??? I know I was advised in the past that the Quattro bonds the E and N when it is the primary power source - as required by law. I fell out with the installer so now trying to sort the problem with a leckie who is not familiar with Victron.
2 |3000

captmikewilliams answered ·

OK problem solved, ground fault relay settings was not ticked according to halfwit installer. So lucky I discovered the fault the next day by chance, advice/ S Africa regs is shut your power down if you measure more than 50v between LE, as if you lose a N on a eg kettle it becomes live and you get shocked and earth leakage will not trip - lethal!

2 |3000

Related Resources