question

Christian Butterweck avatar image
Christian Butterweck asked

Possible to monitor second BMS?

Hello everyone, can you use Venus OS to monitor another BMS via the CAN bus, which has nothing to do with the victron system? I want to read the SOC with a script and then switch a socket depending on it. I didn't want to use another Raspberry for this. Thanks.

BMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

v3 supports multiple BMS's being connected but only one selected as in use by the system.

If it is on the CAN bus (and not causing any other issues), you can use nodered and socketcan to intercept broadcasts and then render this info via a nodered dashboard.

I currently use this method to intercept a more granular SOC than the GX is designed to show.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Christian Butterweck avatar image
Christian Butterweck answered ·

@nickdb Thank you.
I decided to develop my own program by using the RS485 connection of the second BMS.
Today was the first day testing and it seems to work perfect.
https://github.com/christian1980nrw/DR-JC03-RS485-Switcher

2 |3000