question

johnjaymack avatar image
johnjaymack asked

accessing GPS data in a NMEA format across an ethernet connection for a cerbo GX

I am using the GuiMods software and it works great. Is there any software that would allow accessing GPS data from a Pepwave modem that will send that information over an ethernet connection?

gps
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

@JohnJayMack While this is not about Pepwave, it might give you some insight into how it could be done.

This post a while back is about doing just what you asked but for Teltonika

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/17470/venus-gx-to-pull-gps-coordinates-from-onboard-rout.html

It might be just as simple, and dose not cost that much, is to get a USB GPS and plug it in.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

johnjaymack avatar image
johnjaymack answered ·

@bathnm I have read that thread multiple times. The issue that I have is that I am not a Linux programmer. And much of the thread seem to involve writing scripts in Python to pull the data, etc.

QUOTE:

If You an get output like this then the solution below of creating a service on VenusOS that runs this command would work..

socat UDP-RECV:[port] pty,link=/dev/ttyUDP0,raw,nonblock,echo=0,b115200

and also

/opt/victronenergy/gps-dbus/gps_dbus -s /dev/ttyUDP0 -b 115200 -t 0

QUOTE:

What I just quoted looks like coding or programming to me. Since I am not a programmer and do not speak the language, I do not know where I would start to create a service on VenusOS. It is even confusing that I mention that I am using a Cerbo GX but all of the talk is seems to be about Venus OS.

Being a programmer is something that I respect. But I am not a programmer yet and I am not sure that am willing to spend the time to become that good. I went with the Victron product line because Victron seemed to have top quality products that worked well together and were easy to get to work together. And I have not been disappointed. I also know that there are others who do understand programming that write various scripts and code to extend the capabilities.

The simple answer, as you pointed out, is just to buy a USB dongle and use it since the programming has already been done for that. And that is what I may be forced to do. It does seem strange that I have an external, facing the sky, GPS antenna that supplies information to a device that can send NMEA information to an IP address and the best solution is to buy a USB dongle and plug it into the Cerbo located in a safe and secure location underneath my coach and hope that the satellite GPS signals will be reliably received.

Getting GPS to work to report my location on the VRM portal is in the category of 'nice to have but not urgent.' I will keep looking and monitoring to see if a true programmer comes up with technique that a non-programmer can use.

Thanks for the response.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic