question

eyub avatar image
eyub asked

shutdown on SOC vs Dynamic cut-off ESS + LITHIUM BATTERIES

hello guys,

we have a Victron system with Victron LiPO4 batteries installed the system is operating with grid-connected to it and in ESS mode, I made all the configuration with Ve Config, and I have one concern that is about the battery SOC and when to shut down the system depending on this.

there are two parts in ve configure related to the battery, the shutdown on SOC and the DYNAMIC CUT-OFF, I actually don't get the difference between them or which one will overcome the other.

v2.jpgv1.jpg

I know that the cut-off is related to how fast the batteries are being discharged and to prevent continuous high discharge but I would like to shut down my batteries at 20 % soc whatever the discharge current is so if I set SOC shutdown in ve config to 15% with this overcome all the dynamic cutoff settings and shutdown at the 20 SOC%?

and how will this SOC level be calculated I already have Victron smart lithium batteries with VE-bus BMS and GX-color control that is showing the SOC of the battery, will the system consider this reading all I should install and extra BMV.

I attached two photos of ve configure part dynamic cut off and SOC shutdown parts

SOC
v2.jpg (42.9 KiB)
v1.jpg (32.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
eyub avatar image
eyub answered ·

please can someone from Victron answers me on this

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

radon238 avatar image
radon238 answered ·

Hi

I had exactly the same question and could not find a definitive answer on the forums, So I have just finished testing this.

My Test Setup:

Multiplus II - Firmware Version 497 (5000VA, 230V, 48V)
Cerbo GX - Firmware Version V2.91 Latest ESS Assistant.
Blue Nova Battery (560Ah) Can BMS connected to Cerbo GX on BMS-Can Port

My Findings:

Both ESS "Dynamic Cut off" Values, and the Multipluss-II Ve.Configure III "Shut-down on SOC" values are active.

Whichever one is triggered first will cause the Inverter to Shut-down.

In my case the Default ESS - Dynamic Cut off Curve values were causing the premature shutdown.
The default 0.005 C value of 52V was to high (My average load of 0.1C was triggering the 52V shutdown at 35% SOC)
Lowering this to 51V has resolved the issue.

Now my "Shut-down on SOC" value of 20% is the first shut-down trigger, with my battery voltage still at 51.4V (I may even set this down to 50V as I suspect a sudden load spike may decrease the battery voltage enough to trigger the shutdown)

In the case of a BMS connected Lithium battery (and I presume a BMV712 battery monitor on a lithium battery without BMS as well) the Dynamic cut off values can be set lower, but don't go to low, so that if the BMS-Can communications fail (or the SOC calculation is wrong), these values will still shutdown the inverter and protect your battery. The exact Voltage at specific C ratings will depend very much on your particular battery.

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

The idea behind dynamic cutoff is that the battery voltage is a function of current. So this provides a more real-world limit than just a single low voltage limit for the battery.

This has nothing to do with a low SOC shutoff. You need both.

2 |3000

radon238 avatar image
radon238 answered ·

PS: Victron states that the Dynamic Cut Off Values are a Curve. In my case the Premature shutdown did not happen at exactly 52V but rather somewhere on the curve between the 0.005C-52V and the 0.25C-50V Value.

Something else that I am thinking about is that as my battery loses capacity over time, the SOC calculation may start to be wrong. In this case some years down the line the Dynamic Cut of Values, may come into effect again, and protect my battery from damage.

So as @Kevin Windrem states, Both SOC cut-off and Dynamic Voltage/Current cut-off values are very important.

My conjecture is:
That when you always cut off on SOC (ex. 20%), you are in effect always over time losing capacity in that lower 20% (Actually you lose capacity over the whole battery but you don't notice it as you never discharge to 0%)

The Upper 80% of the battery is always put back into the battery at for example 96% efficiency, which is the calculation that the Battery Monitor uses. (Unless the BMV is really smart and has some super intelligent way of calculating the actual SOC, taking age and cycles into account)

Maybe someone can comment on my conjecture? Am I on the right track with the SOC over time?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic