question

Tron Bårdgård avatar image
Tron Bårdgård asked

Victron MultiPlus-II GX with shunt and MPPT?

I run a MultiPlus-II 48/5000/70-50-GX with a SmartSolar MPPT 100/ 20 -48V. There is a VE.direct cable between them so the GX module also shows info / can control the MPPT.

I would like to add a shunt to the mix, but the Multiplus GX only has one VE-direct port, and all the shunts seem to use this. Is there a shunt that can use one of the other connection ports or do I have to go over to an external GX, like the Cerbo GX? Will the Multiplus GX deal with being connected to another GX?
I hope someone can give me some pointers on how this can be done.

Multiplus-IIVE.Direct
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Just use a USB to ve direct cable.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Tron Bårdgård avatar image Tron Bårdgård commented ·

Thank you for your answer.
I will try this and see, It would be very nice to not need another GX controller.

0 Likes 0 ·
johnsmith avatar image
johnsmith answered ·

you can only have 1 GX device anyway so adding another wouldn't work. You need a powered usb hub. Make sure you power the hub as you only have 500ma on USB2 at a push. Plug your hub into the MP GX and then plug all your ve.direct to USB into your hub. Make sure your hub power is from an independent supply so you don't lose your connection to your devices.

3 comments
2 |3000

Tron Bårdgård avatar image Tron Bårdgård commented ·

Thanks for the tips,
One thing I'm unclear about, is a USB hub necessary if I only intend to connect one USB adapter? Or is it needed if I ever want to expand further?

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ Tron Bårdgård commented ·
No hub needed if you only need one more device. There is one usb onboard the GX.
2 Likes 2 ·
johnsmith avatar image johnsmith Tron Bårdgård commented ·
You will have one ve.direct-ve.direct to MP GX and need another mk3 to USB from the second multi. But worth getting a hub anyway and saves messing later when you want to add more blue.
0 Likes 0 ·
shaneyake avatar image
shaneyake answered ·

The simplest way is to get a USB to VE.Direct cable, you can also use a USB hub if you need more.

There is also another VE.Direct port inside the multiplus if you want to remove the top cover, you will see the GX board and on the top side of it is the second port.

If you want to add a Cerbo GX or something else, you will need to remove the power connection for the GX board, you can just unplug it. You can also remove the VE.BUS connection, it is a simple RJ45 connection if for some reason you want GX still on.

2 |3000