question

Jamie Matheson avatar image
Jamie Matheson asked

The right configuration

Hey! I have done my searching and learning, this has brought me to realising that I would like to purchase Victron.

I'll give some details and maybe I could get some feedback to give me some much needed clarity. I'm wanting to buy 9/10 410w Canadian solar panels, my array will be placed 65-70m away from my house. Meaning I will want to aim for 350-400v 11amp for cable sizing consideration. This places me firmly in purchasing a 450/100 solar controller, maybe a 450/200 as I would like to double it in the future. I have grid to my house and would like to have an AC input feature(on the system) but I have zero desire to ever send anything back to the grid. I would like to keep it DIY and just avoid any issues with DNO certificates.

I'm planning on just putting in new sockets that are tied to the solar as opposed to removing any that are currently grid tied. Thus alleviating the worry of powering the shower/cooker. Purchasing in the first instance 4.8kwh pylontech unless anyone knows a better alternative.

With this I keep going back to this set up

Multiplus + 450/100 or 200 + Pylontech + 4.1kwh Panels.

I'm in Scotland so this should hopefully supply just over half of my yearly kWh total. Although interesting how December/January will figure in reality.

Do you believe my rational is sound or am I playing a completely different tune? Thanks

victron community
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Jason - UK avatar image
Jason - UK answered ·

@Jamie Matheson If I have read it right and you are planning on a ESS system connected to your AC distribution orIf you are connecting to the grid, regardless too your export, the DNO will want to know what generating equipment is connected to the grid and that it is compliant. If you did connect a multiplus to the grid in ESS mode, you would send a very small amount to the grid which would alert the DNO you have a generating equipment. The only way to avoid a DNO application is to go off-grid.

If I have miss-read it and you are looking at a off-grid set up next to your grid connected distribution, then do you have a schematic of your proposed set up? Ideally you want to be seeking advice from your Victron distributor on how to arrange your system as that should be part of their service. 4.1kW seems a bit small if you are looking at meeting over half your loads without a serious amount of Pylontech batteries. I would use the below link to work out your power and energy generation. Im in the south of England and my PV generation is next to nothing at the moment whilst my energy consumption is 6 times the amount it is in the summer.

https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/tools.html

It would be worth having a look on VRM World at installations near your to see how they are performing.

https://vrm.victronenergy.com/world/

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jamie Matheson avatar image
Jamie Matheson answered ·

Thanks for the answer. I will be using the installation in an off grid manner. I've done the link provided previously and that gives me around 3300 kWh hours for a 4kw installation. This would be the first phase of the solar for me, hopefully then purchasing a further 4kw of solar panels.

With an AC input I was hoping I would be able to make up for the solar if it didn't meet demands at all points, I didn't realise I would have to use it in ESS mode for this to happen.

My electricity needs are not tied to the seasons as of yet, owing to a wood burner and oil central heating. So I'm fairly consistent in that this will be to meet needs outwith that.

I'm now thinking a Solar RS would more suit my needs, but I want to know whether I could use an additional array tied to a 450/100 solar controller to top up the same battery. But the literature and datasheet on it is rather vague. But I do assume by the illustration I could. Thanks

2 comments
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
You only need ESS to feed to the grid.

Lead time for Pylontech is about 3-4 months.

No problem having multiple controllers into the same battery bank. But have Cerbo or other GX to control it.

With this panel voltage, please get it set up by a professional. Could be lethal otherwise. And watch the winter voltage rise compared to input voltage limits on the controllers.

If you get 10% of panel output in winter, you'll be very lucky.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jamie Matheson avatar image Jamie Matheson kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

Yeh I've taken into account winter voltage rise by keeping to 9 panels which will give me a 90 volt buffer to account for extreme weather situations. I am electrical adjacent in my work, so I know the need for safe work practices and isolation. But I will have a professional do the final checks, I'm not entirely devoid of sense.

Thanks for the advice, it seems much easier to get information on other set ups. Probably owing to Americans being the majority to set up off grid systems.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Jamie Matheson

For offgrid, Victron holds the crown as the best in the world. Bar none.

Your rationale pretty good, but you could consider running your existing grid-tied loads through the Multiplus, thus saving on duplicating ac outlets. There's a limit, usually specced as Transfer Switch capacity, and if it's not enough then you may be choosing the wrong Multi. Radical step? Nope, not at all.

By choosing between which (of 2) outlets on the Multi your various loads are connected to, you have choice as to which gets supplied by grid. Hard (for me) to explain in detail, but check it out..

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic