question

walkernet avatar image
walkernet asked

IP22 12/15 (3) Multiple outputs

I have an IP22 12/15 (3) with which I was hoping to separately charge and monitor 2 separate batteries via the multiple outputs.

When you connect batteries to the separate outputs, is the charger capable of detecting the state of charge of these batteries independently, and therefore potentially charge them differently, or does it just apply the same charge to both ? The batteries could of course be in completely different conditions and states of charge, so could be at different points in their charge cycles. It seems pointless having multiple outputs if not, but I cannot find this information in the manuals or elsewhere.

battery chargingcharger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

A basic general answer is

The charger will charger the lowest one first and as the voltage increase the others will also be charged.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

The advantage of such a charger is that the batteries are still electrically disconnected from each other, see it as a charger with a build in diode bridge + compensation.

2 |3000

walkernet avatar image
walkernet answered ·

Thanks for clearing that up. The batteries are connected via a voltage sensitive relay so that when the main van battery is charging up (via alternator) then it activates and also charges the leisure battery. I guess I have to devise some way that the VSR will not activate when charging from the victron, otherwise the two batteries will effectively be connected together. Any suggestions welcome :)

1 comment
2 |3000

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

Usually that's no problem, as long as the batteries are disconnected when not charging - and especially when starting the engine (as to not overload wiring / relay / etc.)

0 Likes 0 ·
daidalos avatar image
daidalos answered ·

Good question, I was wondering about that too.

1. The only advantage to have 3 different outputs is the separation of the batteries from each other(right?)

2. If I have one of three Batteries “empty” (which is normal on a sailing boat with starter and supply Batterie(s) setup), the Batterie will be charged with the highest current (right ?)

3. If all three Batteries have the same “Energy Level” the treatment (4-stage charge) will be the same vor all batteries (right?)

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual