question

randy-s avatar image
randy-s asked

Use VE.Direct BT Smart dongle instead of USB BT dongle on CerboGX

Can I connect the VE.Direct Bluetooth dongle to my Cerbo and use it instead of a BT USB dongle? The connection range of the VE.Direct BT dongle is very good; much better I think than the USB dongle that I currently have plugged in.

Also, as per above discussion, there is currently very little support for a USB connected BT dongle eg the Cerbo cannot even tell it is connected. Would the Victron VE.Direct BT dongle have better support/features/usability?

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Randy S

Neither is an option, it is not designed to work like that. And the Cerbo has its own built in wireless access point. It is the best way to monitor it locally. You don't even need victron connect.

The other ways are over lan or vrm.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

randy-s avatar image
randy-s answered ·

Thx for your reply. The reason I ask is I use several Ruuvi BT sensors, and suffer from the poor BT capabilities of the Cerbo. It has been oft suggested to not rely on the internal BT and use an external USB BT dongle. I have done this and it is marginally better. However I now have an extra VE.Direct available and would like to use it instead of the USB BT dongle. It was previously connected to a BMV-702 and Blue Power control and its range was excellent.

2 |3000

randy-s avatar image
randy-s answered ·

Still looking for an answer; sorry if that wasn’t clear.

In short, can I use my VE.Direct Bluetooth Smart Dongle instead of a USB BT dongle for the purpose of communicating with my Ruuvi sensors?

Thanks.

2 |3000