question

jochot avatar image
jochot asked

Bluesolar, Orion, IP22 together on 24V

Hey!

I am building a Van to live in full time right now.

I do not need an alternator, as all my devices are DC anyway.

The plan is to have a "Victron Energy LiFePO4 Batterie 25,6V/100Ah Smart", for this I know I need a BMS (miniBMS) and a batteryprotect on the loads side, to ensure the battery is save from undervoltage.

For Solar, I have 3x 180Wp in series (totalling 147V) for which I would need a "SmartSolar MPPT 150/35".

For alternator charging, I am looking at a Orion-Tr Smart 12/24. (15a or 10a)

For 230V charging, I would like to use the Victron IP22 24/16. (maybe a smaller one to save some money and space)

The 3 charging methods would be connected to the plus of the battery, before the batteryprotect.

From what I understand, the Orion-Tr Smart can be remote controlled by the BMS.

Now I have 2 main questions:

Q1: The MPPT and the IP22, from what I can see, do not have remote functions for turning off, so I need a batteryprotect for those on the charging side, to cut them from the Battery? I would then look at buying one which both are connected to and that would cut both at the same time. (adding the orion -> one less cable, cut all charing options at once)

Q2: If I have two charging methods running (MPPT + either IP22 or Orion), how do they work together?
I think I can configure them so that one is always the main one (e.g. MPPT, as it's "free" would be the one that is prioritised, the others jumping in on lower voltages if need be by configuring float voltage)
I did not quite understand what the Cerbo GX is doing - would it help with managing several charging devices at once? Or is there any other way to make them work together better?

Q3: Do you have some feedback about the overall setup?

Thank you already for answering, I have an electrotechnics background but this specific topic with several chargers and an external BMS are strange to me, plus the very victron specific setups :)

MPPT Controllersbluesmart ip22orion
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
januss avatar image
januss answered ·

I have the same issue. Want to use two mppt blue solars in combination with ip22 charger on a battery bank. Off course I want maximum profit from solar during daytime. If main voltage drops below certain point i want the ip22 to take command of charging additionally.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.