question

guy-cashmore avatar image
guy-cashmore asked

Multiplus-II GS - is dual purpose operation possible with a simple external mode switch?

Hi, only my second post so please be gentle, and excuse my terminology.

I have a Multiplus-II GS and lead battery bank that spends most of its time functioning as an ESS system, self consumption from our PV system being the objective, it's working well.

However, we are in a deep rural location that suffers quite regular grid power failures, for these times we have a 6 kVA diesel backup generator.

What would be really useful is the ability to use the Multi in PowerAssist mode quickly and easily. Obviously this needs a changeover switch for the input but I can easily sort that.

So the nub of the question, is it possible to have two very different operating modes programmed into the Multi and quickly swap between them? Ideally using a simple digital input?

At the moment the only way I can see to do it is get the laptop out and delete the ESS assistant?

Thanks, Guy

Generatorpowerassist
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
shaneyake avatar image
shaneyake answered ·

I don't think you can do it will a switch but you can just change the ESS setpoint to like 4000W.
It would then charge your batteries but not exceed 4000W from the Genny.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

guy-cashmore avatar image guy-cashmore commented ·

I'll give it a try, but I don't see how it will charge the battery because the CT will never see any export power, flow from the generator can only be one way.

0 Likes 0 ·
shaneyake avatar image shaneyake guy-cashmore commented ·
Are you using an external CT or Meter? If you are using a CT then you will need to route the generator power cable through the CT.
0 Likes 0 ·
guy-cashmore avatar image guy-cashmore shaneyake commented ·
External CT, I'll have to do some experiments I guess.
0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Try this in the GX unit select settings then system setup. (THIS needs to be tested but I think the below is how it works)

Change the AC1 power type to Generator. this should then stop the ess from exporting power and you wont need to play around with assistants etc.

yes for grid exporting you will need to change it back

maybe of some help

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MultiPlus Generator FAQ

GX - Generator auto start/stop

Automatic Generator start/stop

Hybrid Generators

Virtual switch - Generator start/stop

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic