question

Jonathan Contre avatar image
Jonathan Contre asked

Using 230V Quattro with US 120/240 Shore Power and Autotransformer

Hello.

I've searched the forum and can't see to find an answer to this particular question:

I have a boat with 120/240 50AMP shore power, split-phase (2 legs @ 50AMPS/120V). I also have a generator that outputs 120/240 at a smaller amperage per leg.

I would like to purchase a 48V 10000W 230V Quattro (European spec) and use the Hot In for L1 and Neutral for L2. This would then flow out to a 100AMP auto transformer.

I've read several forums where this is the "approved" install. BUT I understand that the neutral is only capped at 28AMPS (not 50) essentially limiting L2 to 28amps.

What is the best way to handle 120/240 shore power in? Ideally, I'd like to have an isolation transformer for the shore protection aspects.

THANKS!

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerAutotransformer
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

Your shore power isolating transformer would need to have a center tap on the shore side, then output 230 AC. This is then compatible with the AC in of the inverter, so you can use the inverter's AC switching. You can then use 1 or 2 auto-transformers on the output of the inverter. Other option might be to dispose of the 120V loads....(and the auto-transformer(s)).

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.