question

hemiman avatar image
hemiman asked

Connecting input side of solar to multiple Victron MPPT charg controllers?

I have 840 watts of solar panels on the roof of my RV and one large Victron 100/50 charge controller. However, I can't get all 840watts because the 100/50 model has a 50 amp limit. Which limits the maximum draw from the roof at about 700 watts. I have a second 100/30 Victron MPPT charger controller for my ground port. I use it with a 100w foldable solar panel I put out for a little extra power when parked. I was wondering if you could parallel up the two charge controllers (input as well as output to battery). I thought by placing a diode in-line with a jumper wire from the rooftop (+) panel side to the 100/30 (+) side would prioritize the 100/50 on the roof panels but allow the 100/30 to assist. Anode side of diode would attach to the rooftop panel side with cathode side attached to the ground solar side. The idea is anytime the 100/50 rooftop charger reaches its maximum 50 amp draw from the roof and extra voltage bgins appearing on the input side of the charge controller, the 2nd down the line 100/30 would sense that and begin to draw energy from the roof top (as well as pull in my ground solar). All panels are 12v panels, ground and roof top. I know the MPPTs regulate input voltage by (and thereby solar panel voltage) via current draw. Would having two MPPTs on the same input line confuse the internal regulators too much? Like two people jumping up and down on the same trampoline?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
li-tech avatar image
li-tech answered ·

I have a simular issue with a big panel setup in series (<75V) to reduce voltage loss, however I have a controller charging each battery so 3x 75/15 SmartSolar Controllers with 3x LiFePO4 batteries.

Would this work?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bigbadbob76 avatar image
bigbadbob76 answered ·

@hemiman If I were you, I'd split the 840W solar array into two 420W arrays and drive each charge controller seperately, then only parallel their outputs at the battery.

the split doesnt have to be 50/50, you could have any convenient split.

@Li-Tech I'd do the same in your case, but have the three LiFePo's paralleled together if possible.

I wouldnt parallel the inputs as the charge controllers constantly adjust the load on the solar panels for maximum power, due to slight diffeneces in each controller they will fight each other.... like two drunks on a trampoline. haha.

2 |3000