question

psea avatar image
psea asked

100/50 Charge Controller Not On

Hello, need a little help. Trying to get some electrical done before I head to mexico in October. Was planning to insall lithium, but noticed my battery meter was telling me it wasn't receiving any charge. So rather than install the new batteries, figured I'd better fix what's already there and not change to many variables. So, I'm working with Gel Batteries.

Not exactly super knowledgeable on solar. I've been using the same solar panel for 2yrs. No issues. Nothing has changed. I've just tested the panel's VoC (42v) as well as ISC (1-3a) coming from the panel depending on the amount of direct sunlight. It's not a very good panel, clearly. Both measurements are within spec. However my Victron 100/50 (bought new from Victron via Amazon) is in the OFF state. I can't get it to engage. Never had this problem. I've added a draw to the batteries just for some additional testing and it still won't turn on with the batteries not fully charged. It's not uncommon that I read 12.9v to 13.1v at my battery meter when the charger is working.

The charger flashes all 3 LED's when I connect w/ the VictronConnect app. I believe that's normal. It then just flashes a blue light every few seconds. Other than that, nothing. The VictronConnect app is telling me it's "OFF."

1. What can I do to diagnose?

2. Since I bought direct from Victron, who can I contact? Not seeing a phone number for support in the USA.

Thanks in advance!

pc

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@psea

Is the remote switch short circuited?

Does the app show panel and battery voltage? If you could post a screenshot of the victron connect that would be helpful.

You should get into contact with the amazon seller first. If there is no response then you can follow up with this form.

But it is best to start with troubleshooting your own set up first.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/19828/mptt-state-off.html there are a few posts with a similar problem like the one i have linked above and a solution. Of you use the search function at the top of the page you can read through them.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

psea avatar image
psea answered ·

Update. I disconnected the solar panel via the Anderson plug. Removed the mounted charge controller (so i could test voltage at the controller) and then plugged in the panel to the controller as i've now done 4+ times. Now it's working fine!! Odd. all connections at the controller are strong and voltage at the controller is strong. Not sure what changed. All connections are strong, well crimped and shrink wrapped as well. hmmm.

Anyway, THANKS for responding. I'll continue to keep an eye on it and see how it behaves.

2 |3000