question

gyzko avatar image
gyzko asked

IP22 rev2, MPPT, syncronized charging: how the storage phase is handled?

The second hardware revision of the IP22 is now supporting VE.Smart networking. It looks like Victron fixed the "too small microcontroller" issue in that revision. That is pretty cool!

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:beta

There is a guy here that reports it is working for him.

https://www.t6forum.com/threads/low-temperature-lithium-battery.24971/page-10

When I look at the release note, see "Blue Smart Charger" section of the v5.42 release, I have few questions about synchronized charging of an IP22 and a Smart Solar MPPT unit. It is said the IP22 will become the charge master in a VE.Smart network. That makes sense. However, even if the charging profiles are configured identically on both IP22 and MPPT, only IP22 supports a storage phase in its charging cycle.

So, what happens to the MPPT when the IP22 switches to storage phase of its charge cycle at the end of a long sunny day? Similar use case, what happens to the MPPT if the IP22 is already in storage phase when at the beginning of day? Does it mean it require the storage voltage of the IP22 must be set the the same value of float voltage? What happens if it is not the case (storage voltage lower than float voltage)? Is there any plan to add support to a storage phase in the charging profile of MPPT?

Regards,

-François

VE.Smart Networkip22
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi François,

When combining a MPPT and an IP22 charger in a VE.Smart network, the IP22 charger will always become the charge master. This means that the MPPT will follow the voltage setpoint of the IP22 charger. So the charge voltages are completely determined by the charge profile of the IP22 charger and the charge profile of the MPPT is not used in this case. It is however advised to keep the charge settings the same, so that when the IP22 is removed from the network, the MPPT will continue with the same charge settings, as mention in our VE.Smart Networking manual: https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VE.Smart_Networking/en/synchronised-charging---further-details.html

When the IP22 was in storage mode (or any other mode that the MPPT does not have), the MPPT will go into Float when it becomes the charge master.

Kind regards,

Thiemo

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gyzko avatar image
gyzko answered ·

@Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff)

Thanks for the answer!

I read the "VE.Smart Network" manual a few times but I always missed the part in the manual that refers to the voltage setpoint being controlled by the charge master.

There is a lot of emphasis about the importance to have the same charging profile in the manual. So, I initially interpreted the synchronized charging feature as the charge master being responsible to tell to slave chargers "we are in absorption stage now". Then each slave charger looks at the own charging profile to figure out voltage setpoint for absorption phase.

I was wrong. It looks like the master charger is responsible to tell to slave "we are in a constant voltage charging phase with 13.3V as a voltage setpoint".

I strongly believe you must add your phrase to this manual: "The charge voltages are completely determined by the charge profile of the IP22 charger and the charge profile of the MPPT is not used in this case. "

Then, replace "IP22" by "master charger" and MPPT by "slave charger" to make it more generic.

The reason why it in important to have all chargers within the same "VE.Smart Network" having the same charging profile is because the master could change in each charging session.

Other people could not catch this small subtlety.

Anyway, thanks again!

-François

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VE.Smart Networking Manual