question

digimer avatar image
digimer asked

Quattro 48|5000|70 120v measured short question

Hi all,

I was just about finished wiring up my Quattro, and I was doing a check for shorts with my multimeter. At the time of testing, the short power (AC in #1) and battery connections were not connected to anything, and the AC out #1 and #2 were wired through an AC fuses to a pair of outlets, with nothing connected.

Before connecting the wires, no shorts were found.

After connecting the AC In #1, both AC outs, and the battery terminals, I started checking for shorts and I found that, unpowered, there was a short between AC Out #1's Positive and Neutral lugs. Measured in ohms, it was sitting around 2->0.5 ohms. Out #1 is protected by the batteries, Out #2 is not. There's an open circuit on #2's Neutral and Positive lugs.

Similarly, I measured a short between the battery Positive and Negative lugs. When I switched to measure resistance, however, I saw it started at <10 ohms, and after about a minute (or less), it had climbed to 2.5 kohms, making me think there's a capacitor bridging the posts?

Is this expected? I'm guessing it is, but given the cost of the Quattro, I'd rather check in to see before I apply power via the batteries or shore power for the first time.

quattro-questions-2.jpg

"1" i AC Out #1, "2" is AC Out #2 and "3" are the battery posts (obviously :) ).

Thanks!

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
digimer avatar image
digimer answered ·

OK, I _think_ I understand it now, but I would still love someone to confirm.

AC Out 1's lugs are on either side of the inverter's transformer's secondary windings, hence the near-zer ohms measured. The climbing resistance measure on the battery lugs is because my multi-meter is (slowly) charging a resistor. I _think_ I'm good to go, but again, I'd love to hear this confirmed. :)

digimer

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
There is a bunch of electronics inside so measuring the resident will always give you some random results.

As long as you don't have a short circuit in your wiring everything should be fine.

0 Likes 0 ·