question

electrichi01 avatar image
electrichi01 asked

Q- Cells 475 Watt Solar Panels and MPPT 150-70

Hello

Looking at using 2 - Q Cells 475-watt solar modules and one of the Victron MPPT cc's to charge 2 - 200 ah batteries.

My application is for a vehicle and off-grid with the ability to use a second alternator to also charge the batteries. Will also use the smart shunt as well.

Will this cc do the job or should I select a different model?

Will it be possible to run them into the cc at a higher voltage and then drop down to 12V dc for the vehicle?

Am I thinking about this correctly or should I pick a lower wattage/voltage solar panel?

Thank you!

Keith

Q_CELLS_Data_sheet_Q.PEAK_DUO_XL-G10.d_475-495_2021-06.pdf

MPPT SmartSolarSolar Panel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
michelg avatar image
michelg answered ·

Hi Electrichi01, you will be able to use the PVs either in parallel or serie. If you are going to use them for a RV / Van life, I 'll suggest using them in parallel, in case one is partially shaded, so your installation won't be too much affected by the shadow (loss of production).

You don't mention what kind of batteries you're going to use, Lithium or AGM / Gel ? Serie or Parallel connexion ? Anyway your mppt is able to manage both of them. I'll suggest you to add a BMV-712, so you can check the status of the battery bank.

Michel

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

electrichi01 avatar image
electrichi01 answered ·

Hello Michel

Agreed that series or parallel would be a good approach.

Lithium iron phosphate for sure for all of their benefits of discharge and weight as well as cycles.

There are a plethora of brands that look appealing today for different reasons, like space/dimensions, price and user feedback. I've noticed the trend where some manufacturers are giving the individual batteries the voltage via their own app to look and see the health of them.

The goal was to output at 12V dc. Yes, the BVM-712 and the app will compliment the feedback loop for battery voltage nicely.

Thank you Michel!

Keith

2 |3000

Related Resources

MPPT product page

VictronConnect manual

PWM or MPPT

MPPT calculator

MPPT codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic