question

tonus72 avatar image
tonus72 asked

BMV712 shunt wiring for 2 banks - sense check

20210822-102937.jpg Hi

I have installed a Victron BMV712 on my boat and the guys doing the final connections have wired two negative wires to the shunt 'battery' post. I wanted to sense check this with you if possible please? In my fancy diagram you will see that I originally planned to have the STB start batteries negative attached to the load side of the shunt...

I hope my diagram and pictures make sense. I have a house bank of AGMs that the BM is monitoring, but the 3 way switch allows me to call on the starboard starter batteries for reserve power if I ever need it.

My query is that the two bank's negative wire is on the battery side of the shunt. Is this a problem if I do not use the starter batteries? I am not worried about the BM being out of whack for the super rare time that I use STB starters in an emergency.

Thanks for your help

Tony
in Tassie

20210822-102937.jpg
BMV Battery Monitor
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

The only problem that I cant see, would be if the house battery's negative is connected to the chassis.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
tonus72 avatar image
tonus72 answered ·

Hi. I hope this helps - x for positive, negative circled. 4 x 6v batteries. Cheers. Tony20210822-153717.jpg

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
The shunt wiring looks correct.

However the color coding for the battery cabling is just an accident waiting to happen, black cable/covered with black split loom going to the batt pos, and a red cable going to the batt neg :(..

0 Likes 0 ·
tonus72 avatar image tonus72 klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Hmmmm, yes..... wasn't rapt with that! A bit of effort wasted.....

0 Likes 0 ·