question

shaneyake avatar image
shaneyake asked

Would it be possible to have the 2x120 Multiplus based on a 240V Multiplus with a center tap

I was wondering if Victron would release a 2x120V Multiplus but instead of the inverter only being a 120V inverter it would be based on the Multiplus-ii 48/5000 but having a center tap so that it can provide a split phase output and all the other features of the 2x120?

Is this something that is possible? and Possibly on the cards for down the road? Would make RV installs super simple.

Thanks

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

I myself would think NO - As this split phase option as its not easy to do in one unit, one way you would need two inverters in one and the other is to add a transformer - easy way is to install a 220v transformer with a center tap onto the Multiplus 220 ac1 output then you would have what you want.

well thats my thoughts others may have there thoughts as well,

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

shaneyake avatar image shaneyake commented ·

Yeah, my thought is that if you already have a transformer in the Multiplus, why can't you use that to generate the split phase? I am hoping the Victron folk might have an answer to the technical reasons why this can't be done.

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

I think it might be possible with something like this

1629578617234.png

Separate shore and generator inputs which is common in larger RVs. Each input should be able to detect voltage and frequency so the system knows when to switch to the other input.

Inputs can be 120, 240 or 208 (two legs of three phase power). 120 volt shore power may be all that is available in some campgrounds so supporting 30 amp 120 volt shore power is essential.

Voltage selection should be automatic

Input neutral connection only used for 120 volt single leg power

Output always 120/240 split-phase (at AC input frequency)

I can see a need for a smaller/lighter system maybe 3-5 KVA and a larger one 10-15 KVA.

1629578617234.png (27.4 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

shaneyake avatar image shaneyake commented ·
Yeah, this is exactly what I had in mind.

Didn't think about the auto voltage switching but that would be great too.
Dual inputs is also awesome if it doesn't add too much cost.

Hopefully Victron builds it.

0 Likes 0 ·