question

vovanenok avatar image
vovanenok asked

Quattro 120V / 240V

Currently I have a Magnum 120/240 4kw 24V inverter + a generator which is running in 240V (though it can output 120V as well).

I have a deep well water pump 240V

I'm upgrading to 48V. Looking into using a Quattro inverter. Since there is no 120/240V Quattro, what would you recommend in my case to get both 120V and 240V?

Should I get 2 x 120V Quattros and connect them in parallel?

Or probably a 240V Quattro + transformer?

Many thanks for your assistance!

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

In my opinion, the best solution is to run two Quatros in split-phase mode. That gives you two 120 volt legs with 240 between them, like you'd find in a home electrical system. Your generator would then connect to the split-phase input to the Quatro pair in 120/240 mode.

You could also run a single 120 volt Quatro then create your split-phase output via an autotransformer.

Or a 230 volt Quatro adjusted for 240 then into the same autotransformer. Your generator would output 240 volts (with no neutral connection) into the Quatro.

Victron sells 32 (7600 VA) and 100 amp (24000 VA) autotransformers.

9 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

vovanenok avatar image vovanenok commented ·

Thanks a lot Kevin. Also as I understand transformers cause some power loses, which is another plus for 2 Quattros in parallel

...generator would then connect to the split-phase input to the Quatro pair in 120/240 mode.

Sorry if it is a dumb question, does it mean I connect the generator to both Quattros?

Appreciate all your help!

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem vovanenok commented ·
Yes, the two Quatros are not wired in parallel. Rather their neutrals are common, but they are configured to create an L1 and L2 hot legs that are 180 degrees out of phase, just like the power coming into a US home. The generator most likely puts out this same power arrangement.

Using a single, Quatro and a transformer might be a little less efficient but would save you money.

If you don't also have a grid, a Multiplus might be less expensive. It lacks a second AC input, but two Multis you can produce 6 KVA split-phase. Two Multi Compacts would produce 4 KVA split-phase. Quatro would be indicated if you need more power than that.

0 Likes 0 ·
vovanenok avatar image vovanenok Kevin Windrem commented ·

Thank you very much again Kevin for your valuable input.

I didn't find a Multiplus 48V 5KVA 120V, does it exist?

I have an off-grid house, there is power down the road but I will definitely stay off-grid with my setup.

My plan is to go with 2 x Quattro 48/5000/70 120V, which will give me 10KVA. I also know each Quattro can handle up to 10KVA peak, so even more room to play here.

I also wanted to be able to charge an electric vehicle later, even at lower amps, what are your thoughts on capabilities of 2 x Quattro 48/5000 for this purpose?

I think the beauty here is I will be able to add more Quattros later if needed.
0 Likes 0 ·
The largest Multi is 3KVA.

Electric vehicles can pull LOTS of power from the charging source. The plug-in wall chargers run off of 120/240 50 amp service, the there are some that wire in and draw twice (or more?) than that. EVs also store a lot of energy (100 KWh for the new Tesla Model S) so you would need a huge battery bank and solar array but it is possible. Many solar companies even factor in EV charging needs when quoting systems.

0 Likes 0 ·

My solar array will be 16Kw, and I can always add more panels.

I'm looking to build 42KWh battery bank, 32 x 3.2V 420A = 48V 840A, does it look ok to work with 2 x Quattro 48/5000/70 120V ?

Thanks again!

0 Likes 0 ·
Amp-hours doesn't really tell you if the battery bank can keep up with the quartos.

10 KVA is 200 amps at 48 volts. Your battery bank needs to handle this on a continuous basis with a reserve for peaks. A 400 amp peak isn't out of the question.

If your battery bank can'd do that you need to manage your loads such that you don't exceed what the batteries can provide. I don't think there's anything inside the Quatros that will be able to limit output power.

0 Likes 0 ·

thanks again Kevin, it answers my questions

It will be a lithium battery bank, 3.2V 420AH x 32 batteries. I'm going to connect each 2 cells in parallel and then all 16 pairs in series, which will give me 48V 840AH.

0 Likes 0 ·
lilboy509 avatar image lilboy509 commented ·

Yes, the best solution is to run two Quattros in split-phase 120/240V

0 Likes 0 ·
vovanenok avatar image vovanenok lilboy509 commented ·

thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·