question

wcrocket avatar image
wcrocket asked

BMV 700 incorrect current current

Ihe display on my BMV started flashing. I read about others having similar problems and based on their experience I jiggled the red power wire going into the shunt and now the display works but the Amp reading is way off. When I power the electric hot water heater in my RV through a 3000 watt sine inverter the BMV 700 reads less than two amps discharge rate. Using another amp meter I can confirm the actual draw is over 130 Amps.

voltage is correct but Amps are way off. Just to make sure I left the electric hot water heater and refrigerator on long enough to drain my 3 Battleborn Lithium batteries. The voltage dropped to 11.7v and the cumulative AH’s on the BMV were around 13. Going to order another shunt. Hopefully that will resolve the issue.

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Before ordering another shunt, check the cable between it and the BMV unit. Perhaps there is some dirt or corrosion on the contacts. Check both ends of that cable, clean the plugs and the receptacles on the shunt and BMV. A poor contact anywhere along this cable can cause this low current readings that you are observing.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

crisp845 avatar image
crisp845 answered ·

I'm so glad I did! This unit behaves wonderfully, just like the description. I currently have it on a 5kVA solar system with a 600Ah - 48v battery bank.

Paycheckrecords

2 |3000