question

terry-r avatar image
terry-r asked

Will Victron consider making products that are user repairable

Having seen numerous product reviews from people speaking highly of your products, I recently decided to purchase some Victron Products for my own project (Smart Shunt, MPPT Charger, and USB comms cable) ... While these products work as specified, I am extremely disappointed with your methods of assembly whereby none of these products can be inspected and or repaired/modified without destroying their packaging. Understand that while most people leave products as is, there are some of us that won't be stopped by this practice ... we need to stop making products that end up in the landfill. Moreover, anyone that wants to reverse engineer your products are NOT going to be stopped by this unnecessary assembly practice. Please reconsider packaging your products for ease of service and or mechanical modification ... A prime example is the comms connector for the USB cable on the SMART 75/10 MPPT charger ... this connecter is impossible to change or repair without destroying the product case ... would also highly recommend including an internal block and level diagram in your manuals especially for these smart chargers.

MPPT Controllers
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

shaneyake avatar image shaneyake commented ·
Can you please post pictures of what you are referring to? I haven't used the 75/10 but all of my Victron products, Cerbo GX, Multiplus-ii, RS 450/100 are all extremely easy to open up and replace items. One of the reasons we use Victron is that we can just replace or repair boards if something goes wrong inside instead of shipping the whole unit.

Really interested to heard more about this, as it is a big deal for us.

0 Likes 0 ·
johan-anderholm avatar image johan-anderholm shaneyake commented ·

I believe some of the smaller MPPTs are "filled with sand", for heat dissipation reasons. If you open them up the stuff inside goes outside which obviously makes them non servicable.

Otherwise my experience is similar to yours. The good stuff is fairly easy to get to so with enough knowledge and experience it is definitely repairable.

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Terry R

Two words - legal liability. from several facets.

Because safety. Often you are dealing with high current DC stuff and it is only a little bit incredibly dangerous, as DC has no chill. To be honest the stupid that is around these days, not a good idea for most to self repair. That being said of you are confident in your ability feel free to do so.

In the case of mppts if you followed procedure, what would destroy them?..... other than lightening? That's right the customer/installer. If it went to landfill (most of the time it is it was someone not being careful, and should now be trusted to repair as well?), own some of the blame.

With the warranty offered by Victron, it is usually not necessary to 'make a plan' as an end user. I have seen and been in a repair department no they do not landfill willy nilly with the product that you return. And some of it is by lightening - definitely no self repair there). Component repair is possible for the skilled individual and some service centers have the people who can.

Because Warranty. If you repaired the item who then carries the warranty ?- does that mean you still are entitled to the origional five year warranty? On what is possibly a bad/poorly made repair in any case? Just because a person owns a solder station does not mean they know what they are doing.

The other issue is the copy cat people out there stealing the product.... I have seen so many (clones of Victron right down to the packaging colors and all) bit unfair for a company who have researched, developed and produced an amazing product. (By the way copied right down to the elastomeric compound).

That being said their new product as Shaneyake mentioned has moved away from that.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mike Dorsett avatar image Mike Dorsett commented ·
Accidents do happen that cause damage to units. And people should take responsibility for their own actions, not try to sue manufactures over incidents caused by opening up products. High current DC is not as dangerous as high voltage dc. ( try a 500v 1700A bus system for danger). Product repair / diagnosis is normally carried out with current limited supplies, so the design current level is not an issue. Also, you could be in the position where the nearest repair shop is 1600 miles away, will take 2 weeks to reach and the 6 months to send the unit to Victron for fixing, and 6 months back - by which time you are somewhere else.
0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Dear all, this note is just to say that your advice is duly noted, we're well aware of this, and keen to improve.

A few words with my view on it: designing a robust and reliable product is a challenge, next, one that is not only that but also competitive, already increases the bar.

And then the many other design goals each increase the bar further: suitability for mass production, easy to install physically, intuitive in use, water-proof or at least water resistant, vibration resistant, attractive enclosure design, safe failure modes, as much Watts conversion power per dollar as possible, and so forth and so forth: each of those further complexifies the design process and increases the bar.

As does the design goal being discussed: making a product that is field repairable or at the very least field inspectable. And indeed its one that is sometimes skipped / or accepted to be excluded: as can be seen in the SmartShunt electronics.

For the MPPT 75/15 mentioned above, the reason to pot it with resin is primarily cooling: the glue or potting material helps transport the heat from the place where its generated to a larger surface. As does the sand. Allowing to get the max number of Watts out of the converter.

The SmartShunt is often mounted in places where water can be an issue, and as such we want it resistant to that as much as possible. For which often potting comes out as the best solution. Certainly most robustt. Also, practically, and despite that nobody wants to fill landfills further, in reality almost no-one repairs their SmartShunt mostly since its not economically viable, requires specialty equipment - very small SMD components, and so forth. Making a SmartShunt that doesn't fail due to water ingress "could" be more effective in preventing landfill than making a repairable one while doing concessions on water resistibility. Note that I say "could"; I don't know and I'm just saying this to make clear that its not a simple two option situation.

Another example: for a larger product, to be repairable with spare parts, one would prefer that it consists of multiple individual PCBAs, each exchangable. However, that means connectors, and when it comes to causes for failure, connectors/connections, especially multi-pin connections between PCBAs, are probably the number one cause; being lonely at the top. So, from the point of view of reliability, having it all on one large PCBA certainly is attractive.

And of course most of above is all up for discussion, a large gray area, there will be solutions and ideas for all.

I'll try to reading any possible further replies on this, but do note that I don't expect to be able to keep replying and/or engaging in a long discussion. There is only so many typing hours in a day, unfortunately!

So again, thank you - well appreciated.

All the best, Matthijs Vader / Victron.

2 |3000

Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

I completely agree with this. I think that it is irresponsible for a "green" energy company like Victron to manufacture products that cannot be field repaired - due to sticking the housing on with elastomeric compound (MPPT series). This prevents dealers from repairing them also. Some faults are easy to diagnose and repair for trained personnel, other faults do require a higher skill level, and replacing custom processors is not going to be possible.

2 |3000

terry-r avatar image
terry-r answered ·

Appreciate your defending this assembly practice ... there is no right answer ... Just expressing my point of view based on 40+ years of first-hand experience. Try to follow KISS to the letter, unfortunately, the final S does seem to show up more often than expected ... NOBODY is PERFECT.

The specific part I am talking about is the Victron 75/10 MPPT Charger which has been completely assembled with some kind of glue and possibly black silicon (could be using a snap-together approach) ... any disassembly of this GLUE will result in complete destruction of the case which is why I have posted this "question".

In my case, these parts aren't critical in terms of I wouldn't be at a loss if a part had to be sent back for warranty repair ... however ... I am more disappointed with the comms connector which IMHO has 2 major issues; it is flimsy (I have already had to straighten the pins even with careful use) AND most annoyingly it doesn't keep the cable connected under any minor movement or vibration (careful replacement of a mechanical PART like this shouldn't have to compromise Warrantee)

As stated: Copy Cats aren't going to be thwarted by these assembly methods ... products of all sorts have been copied forever ... a classic example I first encountered was with the Apple ][ computer which was copied right down to the silkscreens on the motherboard ... Designers have been getting better at packaging these devices into single custom VLSI solutions but this AGAIN leads to adding to LANDFILL fodder as these custom H/W products typically have an EOL of less than a year.

As for not following installation processes to the letter, there are simple design elements that can be added to ensure parts aren't damaged in the event of incorrectly wiring up a device. The price points for these additions typically amount to pennies to the overall product cost ... perhaps Victron thinks they can sell more product by cutting these corners?

The only proven protection from Lightning is to disconnect all electronics and using some kind of Faraday cage (wrapping in tin foil or stowing in an oven) ... not always a viable option

Most of the applications I have seen for Victron products are for mobile installations (both land and sea) whereby users are often forced to troubleshoot their installations in the middle of nowhere ... having the ability to view electronic components is useful to quickly determining if a part has been compromised.

The purpose of writing is to hopefully convince Victron to stop this unnecessary (IMHO useless) assembly practice. The products I purchased otherwise meet my current needs

2 |3000