question

codingparadox avatar image
codingparadox asked

MPPT Charge Controller Stuck on Bulk @ 0.1A when voltage above 52.8V

We have a battery setup on our boat with a large 600Ah 48V lithium battery bank, and we're testing out the Wakespeed WS3000 bidirectional 12V<-->48V dc-dc converter as the bridge between the high voltage house bank and the 12V system for the alternators/normal house loads. We also have 2040 watts of solar panels (3S4P of the 170 watt sunpower panels), running through a Victron 150/70 MPPT charge converter, with output connected to the 48V house bank.

When sitting on anchor/motor not running/WS3000 disabled, and the battery low enough (52.6V or so), everything works normally. MPPT hunts around for a while, and eventually settles on a good current load, and we get great returns (1600+ watts from a 2040 watt bank, perfectly horizontal on the roof of a boat on a wispy cloudy day, I'll take it!). However, when the batteries are close to full (>90% soc), when the engines are running, the WS3000 starts taking excess current from the 12V side and sends it up to the 48V bank, and whenever this is active, the voltage gets up to 53.0V or above, and the MPPT converter very quickly freaks out and, while still in Bulk mode, ends up at 0.1-0.2A of charging, with the solar side voltage at basically the open circuit voltage (~96V in this case). If I power cycle the MPPT, it settles into that same state again. If the resting voltage is 53.0V or so, no matter what the WS3000 is doing (can even be turned off), the MPPT ends up in the same state. So it basically feels like it can’t charge above 53V or so

During this charge process, the absorb is set to 56V (for both the WS3000 and the MPPT), and the float is set to 55.2V. I've tried playing with everything I can think of in the settings for the MPPT, including going both lower and higher for absorb and float settings to try to trick it. Any ideas what to change next? Is this a broken MPPT unit that needs replacing?

6c2cb3f1-2e4c-481a-a6b8-2f0ec8298c98.png

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
codingparadox avatar image
codingparadox answered ·

I've noticed it seems to also be related to what the initial voltage of the panels are -- if the panels are at like 90V (not at open circuit) then it can figure it out. If it's sitting at 96+V, then it can't seem to get out of this stuck-0.1A-bulk mode. So sometimes, when it's stuck in bulk, if I pull the wire from the solar input with it on charger off, and plug it back in, then enable charger, that kicks it to working, but only sometimes.

Today, we sat on a dock without power all day, and started the day at 59% batteries or so, and as the sun came up, the MPPT charger worked nicely and we got a solid day of power, up to about 81% by the end of the day. No hiccups to the 0.1A issue. But I'm betting if I'd paused the charger for a minute and let it float up to open circuit voltage, that it wouldn't be able to recover.

I'm not sure what the MPPT circuit does, whether it's putting a variable resistance load in series with the input or output or something, but whatever it's doing, it seems like it's getting stuck at one end of the sweep and not figuring out how to recover.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.