question

Jan Zwiegers avatar image
Jan Zwiegers asked

Multiplus 1 and anti-islanding

Can the Multiplus 1 control an external relay or contactor to function like the Multigrid?

Certification requirements for South Africa requires NRS 097-2-1 and it seems extra anti-islanding isolation is needed. The Multiplus 1 is not on the list of approved inverters.

I cannot find a definite explanation of the difference between the Multiplus and Multigrid.

It is pretty expensive to install the Victron Anti-Islanding Relay just for this purpose (Anti-Islanding Relay Ziehl), which seems like an overkill.

Can you please provide some insight into this.

multigrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

You should be able to do this with the assistants feature.

I have just been through this learning curve myself and its very easy to setup once you get the idea.

Ie you can turn Aux1 relay on and off and thus control a external relay

this on/off function can be controlled by SOC voltage and other conditions

There are a few posting on how this is done

Also in my case I am using the country code other as Thailand does not have one, but this has some anti Islanding LOM features so the multi can drop the connection if you loose voltage on AC1 in, however it may no be to the standard required on the multi plus

however on the multiplus II from what I am lead to believe it is.

MultiGrid is now replaced with Multiplus II but its only got a 48 volt version at this stage

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jan Zwiegers answered ·

The problem is the MPII 3000/48 version has a transfer switch of only 32A.

So this is not a direct replacement.

The Multigrid is NRS 097-2-1 qualified, but not the MP1, which it seems has minor differences.

The MPII 5000 with higher transfer rating is not yet qualified.

So I'm sortoff stuck.

2 |3000

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

I would talk to the main Victron distributor in Australia to find out when the MPII will be qualified and what your options are.

Or see if you can get a dispensation from the authority to allow the MP II 48/5000 based on the NRS 097-2-1, the worst that can happen is a NO answer. but suspect you will need to go higher than the clerk at the desk or you will get a NO.

but logic sort of indicates that they are the same units just a bigger size.

I don't know if this suggestion is even possible as knowing what the authority's are like in Australia. (to the letter and if not to bad)

2 |3000

Jan Zwiegers answered ·

Thanks for commenting Paul!

It's actually in South Africa.

No, the lists of supported devices are published online and can be traced back to the manufacture's certification.

So there is no way they will accept something that have not had the proper testing.

More specifically it's only the Cape Town region municipality.

The rest of South Africa does not care :)

3 comments
2 |3000

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·

Sorry for that re Australia when it should have been South Africa

1 Like 1 ·

So go back to your first comment and use Aux 1 to control a external relay and use assistants to control that auX 1

0 Likes 0 ·

Or use 2 x of the inverters in Parrallel thus increasing the transfer relay size to 64 amps as you have two units

0 Likes 0 ·
Jan Zwiegers answered ·

I see the MPII 48/5000 is listed to have NRS 097-2-1 certification in the datasheet, although the certificate is not available yet.

Maybe someone at Victron can clarify this.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic