question

thanar avatar image
thanar asked

SmartSolar 100|15 trips short protection when connecting buck DC-DC converter

I have set up a SmartSolar 100|15 charging a 24V nominal (7S) lithium battery bank with its own proprietary BMS. I am driving all loads from SmartSolar's load port. I have installed 5 DC panel switches good for up to 10A.

One of the switches connects to a generic 300W buck DC-DC converter that outputs 12V, powering some LED lighting.

Thing is, whenever I switch the power to that buck converter to ON, the SmartSolar kills the load port for a couple of seconds and then resumes normally. I tried with various loads on the buck converter, even with no load at all.

I suspect it must be some capacitors charging inside the buck converter, however this happens even when I cut the power to the converter for just a moment and then restore (I would expect the caps to remain charged for such a small period). That said, I guess this issue may have to do with overlapping frequencies between the SmartSolar's and buck's switching power supplies; that lead the SmartSolar to believe that there's a short.

I will be connecting the buck converter directly to the battery eventually. Anyone had any similar experience?

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Indeed, high inrush currents do cause the Load output of the MPPT to switch off briefly.

The DC-DC input capacitors will likely discharge quite quickly because even when you cut power the actual converter will continue to run, draining the capacitors.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.