question

pauld123 avatar image
pauld123 asked

Less than 10cm above and below MPPT SmartSolar 100/50

Looking to install a SmartSolar 100/50 in my caravan. The problem I have is observing the 10cm space above and below the unit. The obvious place to mount it is near the batteries, but the height at that point is 26cm... taking into account the height of the charge controller, I'm going to have about 7cm above and below, rather than 10cm. In this location, I can attach a small metal frame to the chassis of the caravan, which could hold the charge controller. Because the chassis has cutouts in it, it would mean that the charge controller was effectively floating, therefore given clear space in front of the unit, and behind the fins... improving air flow... but not with the 10cm above/below it. If I were to move the unit to a different location, I could get the 10cm, but it would either then be fairly near a blown air heating duct, or about 2m from the battery in a different area of the caravan, and therefore need a temperature/voltage sensor on the battery! So, is it ok to have less than 10cm above/below in my scenario where the charge controller wouldn't be mounted up against a wall etc, but "floating"?

Thanks
Paul

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
ddickov avatar image
ddickov answered ·

Hi Paul

I would say no because the size is given because it requires that in order to dissipate the heat from the mppt, I would relocate it but it’s up to your self, not fitted correctly will invalidate the warranty and also will cause overheating and premature failure of the unit.

Thanks david

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.