question

Jay Kote avatar image
Jay Kote asked

Safety on Victron MPPT (70V/15A)

I'm working on a 24V nominal system. The cut-off for the Victron Inverter is 19.5V as I understand it.

My customer has a 330W panel. If the let battery go to the cut off 19.5V the current (max) would be around 17A.

I would like to use the 70/15 MPPT, but am concerned that the current is 2A above the rated 15A. If I use it, what will happen? Will the MPPT blow. Will it just shed the 2A. Or will it shut-down?

I need to use 4 MPPTs. The cost of going to go to the 100/30 is going to blow my customer's budget. This is why I would like to use the 70/15.

Any one have any answers?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

11 Answers
Jay Kote avatar image
Jay Kote answered ·

I found a web-version of Victron's Excel sheet. I was not able to get the Excel program to work, because the drop-down to select 24v system was not working.

https://www.victronenergy.com/solar-charge-controllers

According to it, the 75/15 is acceptable choice. No need to go to 100/20, even taking into account the temperature coefficients as posted by someone else.

Thank you @JohnC and @PaulB for your help.

The download version does not always work, but here it is.

https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2014/03/28/matching-victron-energy-solar-modules-to-the-new-mppt-charge-regulators/

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·
1 comment
2 |3000

Jay Kote avatar image Jay Kote commented ·

The spreadsheet on this page gives an error when trying to pick a voltage. All drop-downs show #INVALID.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi RV. The 75/15 will simply limit itself to 15A into Vbat.

It's not just about looking at the V it's charging into either. If there's a load on the batts it will do it's best to charge batts and cover loads too. Up to 15A. All's well. Pretty good match too, that's what you'd do.

Guessing you're going 4x mppt's with 4x panels for shade issues? If not, you could do this also with a single 100/50. Say by wiring all panels in parallel (4P) or 2S2P depending on panel specs.

If you need help with that option, just give us your panel specs, say Voc, Vmp, Isc.

4 comments
2 |3000

Thank you in advance for your help.

The panel is

Max Power = 330W

Vpm = 58.0V

Ipm = 5.70A

Voc = 69.7V

Isc = 6.07A

Pmax Temp Coeff: -.258%/C

Voc Temp Coeff = -.16V/C

Isc Temp Coeff = 3.34mA/C

NOCT = 44C

PTC Rating of 311.3W

Series Fuse at 15A

What are the key numbers I should be concerned with. I know 330W is most important. But don't know if I should evaluate based on Voc/Isc or Vpm/Ipm?

Is there a website to plug these numbers in and get what the size should be?

My biggest concern is to ensure that the customer can drop their LiPo 24V battery down to 19v and have the system still function. Apparently this was an issue in their last coach (23V low).

They also want to stay Victron. As I said, 330W @ a battery fold of 19 = 17.5A, which is higher than the 15A rating for the 75/15 unit.

I want to be clear that the extra 2.5A will just be safely shed by the device?

Website resource to just enter in module profile and get best (safe) mppt size?

0 Likes 0 ·

Yes, to answer your question the solar panels are being odd places. The customer is not going to be able to avoid shading. Worst on his because they are all spread out. He can't even orient his RV for best coverage.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ Jay Kote commented ·

Answered before I saw this.. Still, I'm a little confused.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jay Kote avatar image Jay Kote JohnC ♦ commented ·

The customer has 4 panels. 2 are on the front. They are flat mounted. There is some shading concern from his vent cover. It cannot be avoided. And which panel gets shaded will depend on time of day.

The other panel is at the back of the unit. It will be in shade most of the time, if he orients the front to face south east (best case).

His 4th panel is ground mount. I am putting in plug where he can point it in any direction. However, he will only do this if he is parked for long enough (3+ days).

So it is better to have each module on it's own mppt. Efficiency and redundancy.

FYI, they already have a small 800W inverter, which they want left in place, as back up. It is hardwired to a single outlet. The Victron will be home wide (not going to 800w socket).

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

My biggest concern is to ensure that the customer can drop their LiPo 24V battery down to 19v and have the system still function. Apparently this was an issue in their last coach (23V low).

Then you/they have a *real* issue. That's flat-battery territory, no grunt left - blackout. Or a genny.

Boekel's link is probably as good as any. But you talk just *one* panel, so let's be clear - how many is there?

And yes , rest assured that the /15 mppt will reject any current over 15A, in total safety.

Sorry we're not quite there yet - how many panels?

2 comments
2 |3000

rvsolartech answered · 0 secs ago

I tried to use the link. But the Excel spread sheet didn't work for me. On the drop down for voltage it says #INVALID for all choices.

They have 4 330W panels.

BlueSolar Max Operating is 20A, But Max Cut-off is 15A.

SmartSolar Max Operating is 15A, And Max Cutt-off is 15A.

What is the difference. Can I use BlueSolar and just get dongles? Or hardware (which is what they want anyway).

19V would mean 17 amps. That's withing the Max Operating range of BlueSolar according to what I read. But so I don't understand why Max Cut-off is 15A.

Thank you!

0 Likes 0 ·

Only 1 panel at 330W (nominal).

0 Likes 0 ·
Jay Kote avatar image
Jay Kote answered ·

I tried to use the link. But the Excel spread sheet didn't work for me. I cannot enter a voltage. It just says all the drop down choices are #INVALID. This could be because I could not indicate a module. All I saw was a list of victron modules. I tried one at the bottom, which seemed like it should be customizeable?

It is a LiPo battery and they want to get every penny out of it. Nominal is 24V, how low do you think they should go. I think telling them they can only go 23V because its a LiPo limit is one thing. But it would be a whole different thing to say it's cause of the solar setup.

Also, I see from spec that BlueSolar Max Current is 20A, max cut-off is 15A. But SmartSolar is 15A for both. Can BlueSolar be changed so it's max is 19A? Because even if I got them to 20V, they might be okay with. That's about the cut-off for the Victron Inverter (anyway).

20V is 16A.

Thank you!

2 comments
2 |3000

You could also try using the MPPT sizing calculator link at the top of this page:

https://www.victronenergy.com/solar-charge-controllers

1 Like 1 ·
Jay Kote avatar image Jay Kote Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you. Have tried this spread-sheet tool. I keep getting INVALID for all drop down choices when trying to enter voltage. I believe this is some kind of SW version incompatibility.

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Yes the 4 x75/15 would be ample and the extra amps when at 19v battery voltage would be discarded.

Also keep in mind that the Panels 69V VOC is getting VERY close to the Regulators Max voltage and on a cold day this may exceed the regulators limit

BUT 1 x 50 amp or 2 x30 amp units would be a better solution as the max voltage would be 100 and may even be cheaper. overall.

WARNING However dropping the LP down to 19 volt is not a good idea, as this would be close to a 100% discharge, the BMS should be cutting it off way before that anyway. sounds like his bank is to small for the loads he is drawing overnight.

anyway thats up to your customer but he is looking for battery trouble, if he keeps going down to 19v .

6 comments
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

I feel obliged to add an answer, but Paul has covered all I'd have to say admirably.

0 Likes 0 ·

Read 75/15 spec for 24v systems. Says nominal pv 440w is okay. Im at 330w.

But 440W @ 24v means 18+ Amps, but spec says cut off is 15A.

So whats true? 440W 24v ok. Or max cut off is 15A?

thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ Jay Kote commented ·

The capacity of the 75/15 is 15A into whatever the load's Vbat is. That overrules all - it will simply ignore any extra available panel W beyond that, and that 15A will reduce sharply too as the batts approach fully charged.

Note the max W harvested will change with Vbat. Eg. 15A x 19.5V = 292W. 15A x 28.8V (absorb, say) = 432W. I call that a pretty good match for a 330W panel, and your advice from the Victron sellers is all sweet. In practice you may never actually see 15A, but that's the very nature of the beast, the sun's bellcurve over a day, batt charge requirements, loads, weather, etc.

The unwanted panel W just doesn't get harvested - call it 'reflected' back out into the ether. All by design, and in your case well designed, IMO. Relax, all's good.. :)

0 Likes 0 ·
  1. 4 panels. Different solar orientation. So different mppt for each panel.
  2. My supplyer 4* 75/15 mppt $ << then two 100/30.
0 Likes 0 ·

In so far as 19v, that was my reaction as well. But the customer tells mr he had the battery custom built and was told not dead until 18v. So theses why he wants to go to 19v.

I remain suspicious. Have not been able to confirm for myself that the person who made the battery said 18v or if the person who made it is being smart for claiming it.

The battery system gives them 6kwh, i think they are ok on size, unless this number is basee on faulty data given to them by the person who made them the battery.

As i said, i have yet to be able to talk to the seller of battery, personally.

sie.

0 Likes 0 ·

I will look at the temp curve for voltage on the panel. I will have to use 4 MPPTs because of where and how the panels are being installed. 2 are on front roof -- lots of variable shade issues. 1 is on back. 1 will be on ground, when connected.

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

@rvsolartech

Please use a knowledgeable Victron installer, your numbers don't make any sense, and you don't seem to read the links and solutions provided.

5 comments
2 |3000

Could be specific. Two victron engineers have looked over my plan and think all is good.

If anything, im posting questions on what im told will work be sure there wont be a problem. if you have sprecfics, im all ears.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jay Kote avatar image Jay Kote Jay Kote commented ·

Also i believe you providee d the link to spreadsheet? did you read that i tried to use it and got errors from spread sheet?

did you read that someone else responded and said they thought 75/15 would be fine?

anyway, whatever specifics you have to add, ill be glad to listen to.

0 Likes 0 ·

And if you get a chance, please downlooad and look at 7515 sheet. it shows for 24v system pv up to 440w is ok. you have taken note that this is not typical 12v, but 24v?

0 Likes 0 ·

please note that i am doing 24v not 12v per other comments. Any specifics will be appreciated .

0 Likes 0 ·

Please be specific. I have responded to your very first link. And others seem to know what I am asking. So if you have something specific to add, I'm listening.

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

My answer was too long to post as a comment, so here it is as a seperate answer:

I posted this link:
https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2014/03/28/matching-victron-energy-solar-modules-to-the-new-mppt-charge-regulators/

If you'd have read it, you'd have read that the 75/15 MPPT is capable of handling 15A of solar current, your panels have a short circuit current of 6,05A, so it could even handle two panels in parallel

At 12 volt, say 14,5 volt charging, one 15A MPPT can deliver 220 W of power, so you wouldn't use the full output of the panels during the peak of solar.

At -10 degrees C, your panels are at the limit of the input voltage limit of the MPPT's, I don't know what temperatures your installation will see.

A 100/20 MPPT is only a little bit more expensive, but can safely handle voltages at sub-zero temperature, and can handle almost 300 W so the panels are used more efficiently

As I suspect the panels are mounted horizontal, you could also use 100/15 MPPT's as the full output power will never be seen except when the sun is directly aimed at the panels.

1 comment
2 |3000

As I responded to others, the link's excel spread sheet is not working (for me). Drop downs for voltage are all #INVALID.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jay Kote avatar image
Jay Kote answered ·

Please do over.

This is a 24v system not 12v.

Also, I responded to your original link the first time and explained that the program was giving me an error when trying to enter voltage. All drop downs are #INVALID.

4 comments
2 |3000

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

I'm done feeding this troll.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jay Kote avatar image Jay Kote boekel ♦ commented ·

Ok mate.

I tried the link you sent. I responded and said it gave me an error. Did you read that? I don't think so. Because you sent me the same page again.

I read your next response, and you have used 12v for your "analysis" not 24v, as I had stated (multiple times).

But as I said, yours is the superior intellect.

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ Jay Kote commented ·

easy then it's 2x the power, so what is your question??
Why do you need a program to fill in, you can do math I hope? you're talking 1 panel per MPPT so you can just read the panel specs.
just use 100/15 MPPT's

0 Likes 0 ·
Jay Kote avatar image Jay Kote boekel ♦ commented ·

You were mistaken, according to victron web tool. And according to victron rep. But yours is the superior intellect.

0 Likes 0 ·
dazey77 avatar image
dazey77 answered ·

On the 19V, surely they have had some advice that referred to lead acid batteries and they are trying to apply to LiPo.

My lipo has an absolute do not cross discharge line of 20V (i.e. if you go below that, you have damaged the battery). I wouldn't have thought its sensible to cross 22V as a maximum scheduled discharge.

1 comment
2 |3000

I finally got a chance to talk to the person who built battery for my customer. He is doing something, Im nit sure is kosher marketing, because I would not call it a 24v. imho.

its 6s 18650s. that makes it 24v at 4.2v per. But most ppl quote nominal voltage of 3. 7v = 22.2v. So, in this case going to 3.3v = 19.8v. So he told customer cutoff at 19v. He told me 20v = 3.4v.

This is why its nit the normal numbers.

0 Likes 0 ·
Gary Pacey avatar image
Gary Pacey answered ·

Back to basics for an RV or boat with flat-mounted panels.

• The nn/ part of an MPPT product specifies the absolute maximum open circuit voltage. Always calculate the open circuit voltage at the expected minimum panel temperature.
  • The /nn part of an MPPT product specifies the maximum current that is transferred to the battery independent of the battery being 12 or 24 volt. Any excess power will simply be ignored as the controller limits the current to the battery.
  • Derate the nominal panel power for conversion loss, horizontal operation and temperature. In Australia we typically use .7 as the actual maximum power.

For this case using a 330-watt panel into a nominal 24-volt system, the available maximum power is 330 x .7 = 231-watts. On a 24-volt Lithium, with a battery voltage around 27-volts, the nominal MPPT output current will be 231 / 27 = 8.5 amps. At 28.4 volts it will be 8.13 amps. At 24 volts it will be 9.62 amps.

This shows that a 75/10 MPPT is a perfect match to the 330-watt panel in a 24-volt system. In a 12-volt system, one would need the 100/20. For multiple panels, each panel can have its own dedicated MPPT.

1 comment
2 |3000

Thank you for the .7. My customer just asked about how much loss he is takung by only doing flat mount. I was going to tell him .8, but im giung to go with your .7

Really, Ive already told him there is no way to get exact number until its done.

0 Likes 0 ·