question

topquark avatar image
topquark asked

How to remove wires from MultiPlus II spring terminals?

I just got my new MultiPlus II 48/3000/35-50, and I am struggling to wire up the AC in/out wires properly.

As a first test, I tried inserting 12/2(+gnd) Romex. I was able to get the wire into the spring terminals (the big bottom half) with quite a bit of effort. Now I'm trying to remove the wires so I can replace it with proper 6 AWG wire.

I tried inserting two precision screwdrivers into the topmost side hole (above the wire connection). Regardless of the position I try to push, I don't get any relief on the wire below (or any movement of the tab inside the terminal). One of my precision screwdrivers actually just bends (and the other, a Wiha precision hex driver, doesn't do anything at all).

Are there any videos or instructions out there on how to properly eject a wire from these terminals? Any specific tool I should be buying to activate the ejection mechanism?

I'm stuck, quite literally.

Christopher

Multiplus-II
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

fred2258 avatar image fred2258 commented ·

Check out this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpXxVSlMSnQ

1 Like 1 ·
3 Answers
bruces avatar image
bruces answered ·

Insert small blade screw driver in the top hole at an angle down towards the other hole & holding pressure inwards lever it upwards as you insert or remove the wire. I found an Australian 240V 12V one the same. Spent a long time working it out. I forget the name of them but German 'invention" & is on a lot of contactors & circuit breakers.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

topquark avatar image topquark commented ·
This was really helpful, @BruceS.

I ended up buying a Wiha 26192 set of screwdrivers (straight and Philips heads). With the smallest-width straight screwdriver I was able to push into the top section at a bit of an angle and that released the wires on the bottom.

I then had to tug the screwdriver back out, as the top portion wants to snag the screwdriver. But that was pretty easy.

I tried a number of other tools, but none of them were able to slip in properly to do the task (or I was too timid). Very interesting terminals.

Thanks again!

Christopher

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Spring terminals at a MultiPlus II? I never saw that. Can you make a picture of the terminals?

All terminals should be screw terminals.

1628272506206.png

1628272506206.png (1.7 MiB)
5 comments
2 |3000

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

120V version has different terminals.

1628276798907.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1628276798907.png (608.2 KiB)
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ seb71 commented ·
Ah ok thx for the picture, I doesn't knew that.

I'm from Europe (Germany) so I never had a 120V version in front of me.

0 Likes 0 ·
topquark avatar image topquark commented ·
Yeah, I was a bit surprised too. The datasheet for the 120V US version has the connection listed as:

120 V AC-connection: Screw terminals 13mm^2 (6 AWG)

BUT the actual hardware actually has these spring terminals instead (as noted in seb71's excellent photo). The manual alludes to this but doesn't provide details.

Any tips on how to use these terminals? I read the manuals, searched online for any/all videos and instructions, and I reached out my distributor--but the distributor didn't have any recommendations or instructions on how to eject wires either. All other screw and spring terminals I've seen are quite easy to use or provide clear instructions, so this situation is quite frustrating.

Is there a way to get in touch with Victron directly? They seem to want all questions to go through distributors or the online community support.

I'm still stuck, and also grateful for everyone's help :)

Christopher

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ topquark commented ·

I think we have one at stock(I don't know why). If I have time next week I will take a look at it.

0 Likes 0 ·
topquark avatar image topquark Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Danke sehr :)

0 Likes 0 ·
bruces avatar image
bruces answered ·

https://www.hitaltech.com/sites/default/files/HSTG-Screwless-Terminal-Blocks-12-28-AWG_0.pdf

Similar. Looking at the pdf might help. I did find a youtube video once but can't find it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqC7iLonYvM

2 |3000