question

luis avatar image
luis asked

Set multiple different charge current limitation

I have a PV-Battery Grid connected system, ESS with Zero feed-in setting.

During the day, I charge the battery with the PV and during the night I charge from the grid to have the battery full in the morning. I want to limit the charge current in the night because I'd rather charging at 78.5A during 4h than charging at 314A during 1h. Therefore, I have set the current limitation at 79A.

And this works properly:

I have to set this limitation because I don't want to get more power than this from the grid.

The point is that during the day, I have much PV power that can not be saved into the batteries due to this limitation, and I end up reducing the PV power in order not to overcharge the batteries.

I would like to set a current limitation according to the PV power available or to some period during the day. Is that possible?

battery chargingESS
batt-charge.png (28.3 KiB)
limit.png (170.0 KiB)
pvss.png (15.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Try setting the Grid Setpoint I limit mine to 150w this way the max I can draw from the grid is 150w unless my Min SOC is reached and then power is drawn from the grid to keep that level

1551368599284.png (31.9 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

Do you have DC-coupled PV or AC PV inverter?

If DC coupled you could just set a lower charging current in the grid chargers (multi / quattro) - although this might be overruled by the DVCC setting (not sure)

But why do you want to do as such? why not discharge at night until you reach a minimum SOC and use the grid until the PV starts delivering again?

1 comment
2 |3000

luis avatar image luis commented ·

I have an AC PV Inverter connected in the AC-In. That inverter can work even if the Multis are off.

Energy in the night is much cheaper than in the morning...

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

ok what you can do is together with the 'scheduled charging' you also use the generator control to run at the same time, you then connect the relay of the Venus device to one of the inputs of the Multi / Quattro.
On the multi you run the 'charge current control' assistant to reduce charge current.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/assistants:overview_of_available_assistants

There will probably be other ways to do this in software, but I don't no how yet ;)

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

What is ESS training video

ESS Quick Installation Guide

ESS design and installation manual