question

thechad avatar image
thechad asked

VE.Bus / VE.Can RJ-45 Wiring

Hi!

I currently have TWO VE.Smart/VE.Can MPPT controllers and a VE.Smart/VE.Direct SmartShunt all connected to a VE.Smart network and working great.

I just acquired a new MultiPlus-II 2x 120V and a CerboGX that I will be installing.

As I understand it, I can connect all of these to the CerboGX as follows:

• SmartShunt = VE.Direct
  • 2x MPPTs = VE.CAN
  • Multiplus = VE.BUS

Assuming this is correct, I have 2 questions I hope someone can answer:

1. Are the CAN and BUS connectors standard RJ-45? Will standard CAT6 cabling work for both types of connectors?
  2. The VE.CAN network is serial...
    1. Do I need terminators on both ends? Is there a wiring diagram of this, or do I need to buy terminators?
    2. Does this mean I can daisy-chain the MPPTS?
  3. Does VE.Bus require any kind of terminators?

Thanks!

-chad

wiring
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

1. You use standard UTP cables, the same ones that you would use for computer networking.

2. Yes you need to install the terminators at each end of the string. Use the blue terminators which come supplied with the MPPTs and CerboGX, two terminators are supplied with each.
A wiring diagram is in the manual.
1628147244926.pngYes, daisy chain the MPPTs. A terminator at each end of the chain.

3. No terminators are required for VE.Bus.

1628147244926.png (20.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.