question

Michael avatar image
Michael asked

Multiplus vs honda generator

Hello Victron Engineers,

Today I toke out the old Victron setup from our RV and installed a brand new set because the old set was not cutting it anymore and had issues.

This new set contains: Multiplus 2 - 12/3000/120 + Victron color + MPPT 100/20 + 2x AGM 12v 200a batteries par. connected. Also available and connected to the AC in terminals is a Honda / traveller generator, and that is not working / operating as it should.

When I start the generator, I can see in the color monitor setup screen that the AC in connection is getting 200v / 51hz but when I go back to status page I see that the generator is not charging the AGM batteries.

Yes, I tryed the switch ( hardware switch on bottom of multiplus + software switch in color ) toggle between charge only and inverter but I get no response.

Do I need to reprogram something by using the color?

Maybe some threshold because the gen. deliverers 200v i.s.o 230v?

Any help would be much appreciated. .

Thanks for your time

Michael

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Maybe you have to adjust some settings inside the Multi using VE.config.
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq
You need a MK3 for that or the CCGX have to be online in the VRM portal.
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/vrm_portal:remote-veconfigure

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Michael

The first thing that usually happens when a newcomer plugs in a small genset is that the gen trips on overload. The initial sign of this is the transfer relay clicking on/off in the Multi. You'll hear it easily, so then restrict the Amps from it in the Multi. This can usually be done from the GX, and there's a minimum it will accept.

If you don't hear the relay, then the power is likely out of spec. Move on then to the Multi's internal settings. Or fix the genset.

Most small Hondas nowadays have inverter regulation, which is fine for the Multi, but the Honda itself won't tolerate a sniff of overload.

You may need to become very adept at making these changes. Such can be life with gensets when you have a 'guardian' Multi as the receiver..

2 |3000

Michael avatar image
Michael answered ·

In color screen I see this coming from my generator, is this out of spec ? I mean the AC in L1 6920148b-5b99-4852-b0e1-0e0e6ffc7313.jpeg

3 comments
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

@Michael

It's probably ok, if still using default Multi settings. What you may also find is that under certain conditions (like poor power factor) the V shows low compared with what a cheap multimeter might show. (RMS? vs whatever V?). Like even 20V different.

But you really need to know what the settings are in the Multi. If you don't have a MK3, download the file via VRM (VEConfigure) and take a look. For you it'll come down as a '.rvsc' file, save it for reference.

Can you hear the relay clicking?

0 Likes 0 ·
Michael avatar image Michael JohnC ♦ commented ·

Hey JohnC, no clicking of relais to engage charge mode. I connected a normal 230v wall outlet and all works fine. Do I need a interface to connect with Multiplus?

Kinda shady for me, I tryed to find out if I can connect directly to MP using a USB / cat5 cable but no definite answer found yet.

Do you know this ?

many thanks for all your efforts,

Michael

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ Michael commented ·

As I wrote above you need a MK3 Interface or the CCGX have to be online connected to the VRM portal.

The RJ45 is not normal Ethernet! It is VE.Bus with special protocol.

0 Likes 0 ·