question

victron avatar image
victron asked

Are Assistant Programmable Relay 'Switch conditions' evaluated as AND or OR?

I want to make sure I've configured my MultiPlus' correctly. So far when I've used more than one 'Switch condition' all conditions were natually met so I still don't know if selecting multiple conditions are 'AND' values (all must be met), and not 'OR' (any combination).

I was able to verify the 'Extra drive options' are OR values by selecting 'in case of general system failure' and the assistant worked despite being selected. I've created quite a few programable relays to ensure they're evaluated as 'OR' values.

I suppose I can add another programmable relay with mutually exclusive switch conditions. I'd rather know from the source how they are supposed to behave rather than assume and potentially get tripped up on a new firmware release.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
mrhappy avatar image
mrhappy answered ·

Quoting Victrons own Assistants guide:

"- an ON condition always has priority over an OFF condition - multi criteria in the ON ( or OFF ) list go by the OR principle"

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/assistants:start

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

duro avatar image
duro answered ·

"multi criteria in the ON ( or OFF ) list go by the OR principle"

this means it is not possible to configure switch AC OUT 2 on, when SOC>95% and output power is lower as 4000W, what is real situation.

In my opinion, multi criteria in programmable relay assistant should work in AND principle. If I want to the assistant to work in OR principle, I will define two assistants, each with one condition.

2 |3000

samuel-brucksch avatar image
samuel-brucksch answered ·

I want to switch on the relay, if the battery is charging and above a specific voltage, to enable my active balancer. However at the moment this does not seem to be possible if evaluated as OR, as the voltage condition is true even if not charging. Is there any other way how i could set relay to on if charging AND above a specific voltage?

8 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@Samuel Brucksch

Use a BMV and the relay there. You can switch it on SOC and voltage. It is easier logic and easier to connect to and tweak on the go.

0 Likes 0 ·
samuel-brucksch avatar image samuel-brucksch Alexandra ♦ commented ·

I don't need one, so i want to use the stuff i have already as that has everything capable of achieving that too. Why should I spend another 150€ if the hardware can actually do it already?

1 Like 1 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ samuel-brucksch commented ·

@Samuel Brucksch

Have you tried using the programmable relay k1? You can set it on and off on DC voltage.

One for on and one for off. It is simple logic. The screenshot is just an example, you will need to customise for your setup.

k1.png

0 Likes 0 ·
k1.png (13.6 KiB)
Sure it is easy but as i need an AND logic for charging AND a specific voltage it doesn't work, as it's also on if the specific voltage is still available when not charging.
0 Likes 0 ·

@Samuel Brucksch

All you need is two conditions one on, one off? Where does AND fit into this?

AND is usually 2 conditions for a state such as on, or am I misunderstanding what you are looking for.

0 Likes 0 ·

In your case above the relay is also on, if NOT charging and voltage is above 55.5V. Even if i add charging check it is the same. I tried this already.

0 Likes 0 ·

Are you dropping the battery to a float level after absorption (usually set to one hour for lithium)?

It should go off when it goes down to float.

Or you can have it active in absorption stage which is where most batteries are balanced)

k1-1.png

0 Likes 0 ·
k1-1.png (10.8 KiB)
sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

Somewhere I have seen the advice that to get an AND function from OR or vice-versa you can program the conditions as the inverse of what you want and then invert the sense of the relay operation (which is perfectly correct in Boolean algebra). Does this enable you to achieve what you want?

2 |3000