question

bigal avatar image
bigal asked

Upgrading to MPPT controller

Hi,

We have 300w in 3 solar panels on our boat, but the controllers are very old. Sorry don't have the exact specs handy. Would I see a increase in output by upgrading the controller?

I also hope in future to have a Victron Multplus inverter and BMV712 - but I dont want to keep having to swap bluetooth connections to monitor all this stuff - is there a way to monitor them all with one bluetooth connection?

Cheers

Al

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Michael Riley avatar image
Michael Riley answered ·

We live on a sailing catamaran with 3 x solar panels (1 kW nominal) all connected to a single Blue Solar MPPT. This has been an excellent solution for our 900 AH AGM connected via 12/3000/16 Multi over the last few years. Normally up to Float (Solar only) by 10:00 AM on 900AH AGM. Today we are upgrading to 24 V LiFePo4 batteries and again using a (larger) Blue Solar MPPT which will provide a higher charge current now possible into a LiPo. Both controllers are 'MPPT' (look up term) so do an excellent job of managing the varying load from these three panels. Each panel is connected to the MPPT via its own CB. In this way we can 'isolate' each panel to see its individual performance if we wanted to (using the Victron Connect on iPhone via a BlueTooth dongle). The existing 150-60Tr is still an excellent solution for an AGM bank. Speak to Odyssey Marine Electrical (Coomera QLD) for details.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.