question

ian60d avatar image
ian60d asked

Remote monitoring of BMV700

I have a friend with a power system that is approximately 100m down a steep hill from the house. She is not young so getting to and from is not easy. The system is having problems but have little to no monitoring. I have suggested a BMV700 so we have some idea what the batteries are doing. (I suspect they are cactus but convincing her is not so easy) We want to be able to monitor the BMV at the house. It needs to be a wireless connection as running a cable would be impractical. There is a house wifi signal at the shed. Are there any established ways of extending the USB or bluetooth signals from either of the dongles or possibly remotely connecting the BMV itself. (wireless equivalent of the UTP cable) Though I don't know where the monitor would get it's power.

Grateful for any suggestions.

Ian

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
icey avatar image
icey answered ·

This is one solution. It will also log this information on the VRM website for short and long term history.

Purchase a VE Direct Cable to USB
Purchase a Raspberry Pi and install this

The Raspberry Pi has wireless that should easily reach 100m line of sight, however if the wireless in the house is between a few walls then you can purchase a access point like this. You would setup this up to connect to your home AP and connect to the Raspberry Pi VIA ethernet.

Hope this helps

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.