question

captain40 avatar image
captain40 asked

Current limit Orion Smart 12/12-30

I am considering replacing a Balmar DuoCharge with a Orion TR Smart 12/12-30. The DuoCharge after 2 years of good operation is now frequently blowing fuses on the output lead and I can not identify the cause. Balmar says the DuoCharge will try to satisfy any current demand even though the device has a 30A overload protection circuit.

Here is my setup ...

• marine installation - 12V
  • 110A Balmar alternator driven by the main engine feeding a 500AH AGM house bank
  • ARS-5 multi-stage regulator
  • Magnum MS2012-20B inverter/charger powered by shore power or onboard generator also feeding the 500AH AGM house bank - not at the same time
  • Balmar DuoCharge connected between the house bank and the 200AH AGM aux bank
  • The aux bank is used by the main engine starter, 4.4kw bow thruster and 2kw windlass

It appears that the fuses only blow when the main engine is running - and not every time though - but not when the the charger is running. I've tried capturing the current from the DuoCharge with a recording clamp on amp meter but the sampling rate is one reading per second, so I can miss a transient spike. the steady state flow was in the 6-8A range.

So my question about the Orion TR Smart is whether the device will be damaged if the aux battery is depleted and would accept 50A or 70A for charging or if the bow thruster was engaged while the engine is running? Is the current limited to 30A on this model?

Also if you have a theory about the DuoCharge behavior, I'd be interested.

Thanks,

orion-tr smart
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

captain40 avatar image captain40 commented ·

FWIW - Here is a screen shot of the measured current at the output of the Balmar DuoCharge with the engine running and the bow thruster energized twice. I still don't understand why the DuoCharge will try to respond to this load and whether or not the Orion TR Smart will do any better. Thanks1627229536031.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1627229536031.png (134.1 KiB)
1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Captain40

Re the Orion current limit, there's some discussion here.. https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/46901/orion-dc-dc-overheating.html

Bear in mind the smart models haven't been around for many years, so if you purchase, perhaps do so on the proviso that you're sent the revised device.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.