question

jamesjcooper avatar image
jamesjcooper asked

Multiplus 3000 shutting down after losing shore power

Hello all,

I am hoping somebody may be able to lend a hand on why my Multiplus would keep shutting down when being used in inverter mode if I lose shore power.

The campground I am at is having power issues and my inbound surge suppressor will open when the line voltage drops below 105. I had the Multiplus set to inverter mode in the hopes that when the shore power drops out it will work like a UPS and keep me running through the dip.

The inverter can run my air conditioner, and I frequently run it just off battery when making stops. The AC is running when the power drops out, and my system is showing about 2000 watts of usage, so there should be enough overhead with the Multiplus to keep it running.

The rest of the system should be sized adequately, I have three 100AH BattleBorn lithium batteries in parallel going to a Lynx buss bar, to a Lynx shunt, and then the Lynx distributor. Batteries are connected with about 4' of 1/0 cable, all are exactly the same size for balancing. The Multiplus is connected with 5' of 4/0 fed from a 250 amp time delay fuse from the Lynx.

The other strange part of this is when the shore power drops and the inverter kicks in there is a loud buzz and I lose all my 12 volt power, almost like it is shorting out the system. The inverter will then go into fault and my 12 volt systems will come back up. If I then turn the Multiplus back on in inverter mode it will bring my 110 back up and the AC will restart, while shore power is disconnected.

I haven't had a chance to get my meter onto the buss bar when dropping shore power, I am trying not to beat up on my electronics too badly, but that is my next step.

Does anybody have any suggestions on where to begin troubleshooting this?

Thanks!!

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

I suspect that the batteries BMS is cutting power as the max current for the battery is being exceeded. thus the 12 volt power cut I think each of these is limited to 100 amps, total draw on the inverter at full overload is around 460 amps

If the aircon was running when the power went off, your Air con may experience a rotor lock due to pressure in the air con systems, thus the air con then draws a lot of extra AC power.

solution is a battery that has higher amps supply (one or two extra ) I would think or a inverter style air con unit, or even a soft-start unit added to the current air con unit

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jamesjcooper avatar image jamesjcooper commented ·
Hi Paul,

I have three batteries in parallel and they each have a 200 amp surge cutoff after 30 seconds, so I should have 600 amps of surge available I am able to start the air conditioner on just the batteries when I don't have shore power. This just seems to happen when there is already a load, the AC is running so we shouldn't get hit with the startup surge, and the cerbo is showing a 2000 watt load.

I thought when left in "on" mode the Multiplus will act like a UPS, switching over to inverter automatically on a loss of shore power? I can certainly see an overload condition if the power drops, there is a slight lag, and the AC is trying to start back up in locked rotor when the inverter comes online.

0 Likes 0 ·